Jail for men who robbed Wansford cattery

Jordan Cole, Barry Robinson and Swaley Smith
Jordan Cole, Barry Robinson and Swaley Smith
Share this article
Have your say

Three men who carried out a terrifying raid on a cattery in Wansford have been jailed.

Clad in balaclavas, Barry Robinson, 39, and Jordan Cole, 24, burst into a home in Old Leicester Road, Wansford, at about 9am on Sunday, October 20.

The 67-year-old resident was at his kitchen table using his computer and was grabbed by Robinson, who put him in a headlock and demanded to know where the safe was.

The victim reached into his pocket to grab a folding lock knife, which he used for work, and attempted to stab his attacker, who then let him go. Robinson fled with Cole who grabbed the victim’s mobile phone from the table.

They ran out of the house pursued by the victim. Robinson picked up a piece of wood and struck him but the victim managed to protect himself with his arm.

Cole also threw a brick at the victim but missed.

They made off in a car being driven by Swaley Smith, 25, and police were called.

Officers realised the getaway car, a blue Volkswagen Golf, had been reported as being driven suspiciously in the area the previous day and a message was sent to neighbouring forces.

At about 10.30am, the vehicle activated an automatic number plate recognition camera in Boston town centre and the three suspects were arrested.

All denied the offences and would not answer questions in interview.

But Robinson was forensically linked to the crime after the victim’s blood, from a finger he accidentally cut with the flick knife, was found on his clothing, while Cole’s footprints were found at the scene.

Smith’s fingerprints were found on a plastic bag found outside the property.

After being shown the evidence, Robinson, of St Peters Road, March, and Smith, of Fields View, Benwick, pleaded guilty to attempted robbery, while Cole, of no fixed address, admitted burglary, relating to the mobile phone.

Robinson and Cole were jailed for eight years and Smith seven years at Peterborough Crown Court on Friday last week.

Det Con Shish Thind, who led the investigation, said: “This was a planned robbery in which the offenders were prepared to use violence to get what they wanted.

“However, the victim showed considerable bravery to fight off his attacker and we were able to track down those responsible.

“This was a terrible experience for the victim to have to go through and the case demonstrates how seriously this type of offence is treated by us and the courts.”