Men jailed for supplying cannabis

Share this article
Have your say

TWO men have been jailed for supplying cannabis.

Brett Mason, 20, of The Broadway, Morton, was caught red-handed as he divided a supply of cannabis into street deals, Lincoln Crown Court was told on Friday.

Mason, who is currently serving a minimum of six years in jail for the rape of two schoolgirls, was sentenced to serve two years and six months after admitting possessing cannabis with the intent to supply. The sentences will run concurrently.

His uncle, Kieron Mason, also of The Broadway, Morton, denied possession of cannabis with intent to supply but was found guilty by a jury after a trial earlier this year. He was jailed for 12 months.

Catarina Sjolin, prosecuting, told the court on Friday that Brett Mason was found in the upstairs bathroom of his uncle’s property along with two other men, during a police raid.

She said: “The paraphernalia of a drug dealer was found in the bathroom. There was a large amount of cannabis, a set of electronic scales and a supply of re-sealable plastic bags.

“Eight grammes of cannabis was on the electronic scales being weighed out when the officers entered.”

Brett Mason’s mobile phone was found in the living room. It was found to contain a number of text messages linking him to drug dealing.

Kieron Mason was outside the property walking along the footpath with his partner. His mobile phone also contained drug messages.

Brett Mason admitted possession of cannabis with intent to supply on September 2, 2009.

Recorder Keith Raynor told them: “You were caught red-handed. The two of you were in a joint family operation to supply drugs to users.”

Timothy Bowden, representing Brett Mason, said he made full admissions to police when he was interviewed following his arrest and pleaded guilty at the first opportunity.

He said: “He was simply buying and selling the drugs. He cannot be said to have any substantial link to a chain. He bought in bulk and sold it on in street deals.”

Anwar Nashashibi, representing Kieron Mason, said the drugs were seized straight away by police and there was no evidence any were actually sold.

He said: “It was a drug that he himself was plainly addicted to. He says he gave up 11 weeks ago and is not now using cannabis.”