New images released in Alan Wood murder investigation

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

POLICE investigating the murder of Alan Wood have received 40 phone calls following a fresh appeal.

Officers leading the manhunt released fresh CCTV images of the suspects in Bourne as they made a second appeal on the BBC’s Crimewatch programme.

Mr Wood was found dead at his home in Main Road, Lound, on October 24, 2009.

New images reveal the moments before his cards were used showing a man hanging around the Post Office, in West Street, at about 8.55pm on October 22, 2009.

At the same time, a green Land Rover Discovery drives through the town, past the man with the cap before heading to a car park on South Street.

About seven minutes later, a man, who police believe could be the driver of the Land Rover, walks out of the car park and in the direction of the town’s cash machines.

Two men matching the descriptions of the suspected Land Rover driver and the man in the cap were then seen using Mr Wood’s bank cards at Sainsbury’s cashpoints.

Over the next three days Mr Wood’s cards were used at various cash points in Stamford and Bourne. In total, only a few hundreds pounds was taken.

Police spokesman James Newall said: “So far we have had about 40 calls and they are still coming in with various bits of new information on the pictures of the man walking down the road.

“In the coming weeks we will be checking the rest of the intelligence and following up lines of inquiry.”

Mr Wood lived alone in a small bungalow. He ran a small gardening business and also worked nights filling shelves at Sainsbury’s in Bourne. He had no known enemies.

The last sightings of Alan alive were on Wednesday, October 21, 2009. He visited Morrisons in Stamford. He then went for a pint in his local pub, the Willoughby Arms in Little Bytham, before returning home.

Police don’t believe he was disturbed at home until Thursday, October 22. They believe he was in bed reading when someone or something caused him to approach the door.During that evening he was subjected to a brutal and sustained attack.

A 20-year-old man, who was arrested in connection with the investigation in Hampshire in December, has been released without charge today.

To see the new CCTV footage go to