Dog rescued from locked car in Stamford as temperature rose
A dog owner was given an earful by concerned bystanders after leaving their dog in the car while shopping.
Inspector Ian Martin of Stamford police said the incident took place on Wednesday (June 28) at around 6pm outside Waitrose.
"At about 6pm there was a concern for a dog that had been left in a car by its owner while shopping at Waitrose, Stamford," said Inspector Martin.
"The front windows had been left down slightly, but with very warm temperatures the dog was showing signs of overheating and was struggling to breathe."
He said announcements were made for the responsible person to return to the car, but no one did "for some time".
"The right decision was made to force entry to the vehicle," he said.
"This was completed with little damage to it, and the animal was taken out and cooled down.
"It should not be underestimated how hot it gets in a vehicle, even with the windows down slightly, and animals should not be left in there unattended."
RSPCA Inspector Justin Stubbs said this was the first incident of this nature he had heard of in Stamford during the current "heatwave".
"But we've probably had about 20 to 25 similar incidents in the greater Peterborough area," he said, adding the RSPCA had received around 600 calls nationally.
"It's a problem that happens year on year and is down to ignorance," he said.
"People don't realise how quickly temperatures rise in a car.
"There's no good reason to take your dogs shopping and leave them in a car."
He said just two years ago they had pulled three dead dogs from a vehicle.
The owner of the dogs described his emotional pain at their loss for an RSPCA campaign, which can be viewed here: