Door saves Stamford Music Shop after fire starts in basement

Share this article
Have your say

FIRE crews were kept busy last weekend as a music shop and a bar were damaged by flames and smoke and an oven caught alight.

Four fire crews were called to Stamford Music Shop in St Mary’s Hill, Stamford, at 11.50pm on Sunday night after receiving reports of smoke in a flat stairwell.

The basement of the music shop, which contained a large number of musical instruments, was badly damaged in the fire and the shop and flats above also suffered light smoke damage.

The cause was identified as a faulty dehumidifier.

Owner David Hollands said the damage was “horrible” but could have been a lot worse.

He said: “Luckily the door was shut otherwise the whole place would have gone up.

“We have got to sit down and count up all the damage. But we will soon get back to normal.”

The shop was open again by Wednesday.

Crews from Stamford and Market Deeping were called to Mama Liz’s Bar and Voodoo Lounge in North Street at 3.30am on Monday morning after receiving a call from an alarm company.

There was smoke damage to the ground and first floor, caused by tealight that was left unattended.

On Monday Louise Rudkin, who works at Mama Liz’s, said: “I opened up this morning and wondered what the smell was, I didn’t know anything had happened.

“It was only small, just a candle that had fallen over.

“It won’t affect anything and it hasn’t damaged anything. We are open as usual.”

A crew from Stamford was called to deal with a fire in an Aga in Steadfold Lane, Tinwell, at about 11.20am on Sunday.

The Aga was damaged in the blaze but the rest of the property was unaffected.

It was caused by dust that had built up in the Aga, which set alight when the oven was switched on.

And a crew was also called out to Rutland Way, Ryhall, at 8.20pm the same day, after reports of an alarm going off.

But when they arrived it was a false alarm.