Home   News   Article

Eleven jailed after admitting being involved in violence during rave at Twyfood Woods near Colsterworth




Twyford Wood, near Corby Glen, was closed for several days while a post-rave clean-up took place.
Twyford Wood, near Corby Glen, was closed for several days while a post-rave clean-up took place.

Eleven people were jailed today (Thursday, July 22) after admitting being involved in violence which broke out when police attempted to close down an illegal rave at Twyford Woods near Colsterworth.

Officers in full riot gear had bottles, stones, lengths of wood, lumps of concrete and a scaffolding pole thrown at them when they tried to close down the illegal event next to the A1.

26 police officers were injured during the violence which broke out as they moved in to seize generators to bring to an end the event which attracted ravers from as far away as South Wales and the West Country.

Jail sentences of between 12 months and two years were handed out at Lincoln Crown Court to 11 people as a result of the incident in the early hours of 24 May last year.

Adam Sheen,30, of Newport, Gwent; and Anthony Davies,30, of Penrhiwfer, Tonypandy, South Wales; were each jailed for two years.

Zachary King, 20, of Lakenheath, Suffolk; Joshua Colman, 21, of Narborough,Norfolk; and Ashleigh Davies,34, of Tonyrefail, South Wales; were each given 18 months.

Maggie-Mae Cross, 20, of Carbrooke, Norfolk; Thomas Carling, 22, of Corsham, Wilts; Richard Higgs,21, of Headingley, Leeds; James Long ,22, of Maulden, Beds; Chris Willis ,24, of Dunstable, Beds; and Anthony Owens, 19, of Southmead, Bristol; all admitted violent disorder.

Owens also admitted two charges of supplying cannabis and possession of the drug with intent to supply and was given a four month consecutive sentence.

Judge Michael Heath, passing sentence, told them: “This case involves large-scale public disorder.

“Immediate custodial sentences have to be imposed to punish each of you and to provide an element of deterrence to those who may be minded to engage in violent disorder in similar situations against police officers trying to do their job.”

Jonathon Dee, prosecuting, said before the violence broke out police closed access to the site to prevent further people arriving and issued a dispersal notice ordering the 1,500 ravers to leave.

Mr Dee said: “The violence occurred when the police tried to dismantle three of the stages. There was large-scale resistance.

“There were a large number of people involved. Missiles were being thrown and individuals were attacking the police.”

Officers later posted video footage of the violence on social media which led to a number of those involved being identified and arrested. Others handed themselves in when they saw the footage although a number of those involved have never been identified.



COMMENTS
()


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More