Family’s shock at death of Market Deeping man in Malaysian bus crash

Harry Woolhouse EMN-140424-184339001
Harry Woolhouse EMN-140424-184339001
Share this article
Have your say

The family of a man killed when the double decker bus he was travelling on crashed into a ravine said he was due to return home this weekend.

Harry Woolhouse, 32, was on a bus full of tourists returning to Singapore from Redang Island when it fell down a 15-metre slope at an oil palm plantation on Sunday. Malaysian press reported that the bus driver tested negative for drugs.

Harry’s father, Christopher Woolhouse, 67, a retired diesel worker, said his son was due to fly home this weekend.

Mr Woolhouse, from Market Deeping, said: “I understand that the bus left the road and fell into the ravine but we don’t know why. Apparently the driver just lost control.”

Mr Woolhouse said his son, a technical manager for Atkins worldwide oil consultants, was returning to Singapore after a holiday with friends.

The family found out about the tragedy after a message was posted on Facebook.

Mr Woolhouse said: “He went back out to Singapore six months ago, but he’d been out there for about 15 months before that. He was due to come back home this weekend. We just can’t take it in. We’re completely devastated.

“We spoke to him last weekend and he was looking forward to coming home. He was going to spend some time with his girlfriend in London.

“He was back for Christmas and he was so happy.

“We’re in complete shock. He’s such an active guy – he loves windsurfing, snowboarding, rock climbing. He ran a triathlon in London last year.

“He was a warm guy, completely selfless. He was the sort of man who would arrive off the plane after a long flight and cook lunch for everyone.

“He was doing so well in his life and we can’t understand why this had to happen to him. He’s only 32 but he packed so many things into his time.

“He was 100m county champion at school and his nickname was ‘Whippet’. He loved rugby and his music – he played violin and organ. He had a huge circle of friends, he always kept in touch with everyone.”

Harry’s mother Sara Woolhouse, 60, a pharmacist, added: “He was an incredibly adventurous person and he lived life at 100 miles an hour, always on the edge. He made the best of everything and we just can’t believe he’s gone.”

Market Deeping-based community choir the Glebe Singers posted on its Facebook page that the choir was “very sad” to hear about Mr Woolhouse’s death.

The post read: “Harry was a huge supporter of the Glebe Singers, and not only provided the choir with their publicity for many years, he also initiated the recordings of past concerts and sung with the choir.”

Dr Martin Grant, chief executive of Atkins’ energy division, described Mr Woolhouse as an “extremely capable young engineer”.

He said: “Harry was a highly popular colleague who was an extremely capable young engineer who had a very promising career ahead of him. He will be very much missed by us all.”

Malaysian newspaper The New Straits Times reported that Mr Woolhouse was one of 38 passengers on the bus and that the bus driver lost control while it was raining.