Former Tallington man dies after crash in Hong Kong

Former Stamford School pupil Simon Ransom died after a crash in Hong Kong.
Former Stamford School pupil Simon Ransom died after a crash in Hong Kong.
Have your say

TRIBUTES have been paid to a motorcyclist who died after a crash in Hong Kong.

Simon Ransom, 38, who grew up in Tallington, was pronounced dead at hospital after his motorcycle was in collision with a Toyota car near a toll gate at Sha Tin at about 9.30am on July 3.

His father Richard, of Main Road, Tallington, and friends have paid tribute to Mr Ransom, whose body is due to be repatriated to this country today.

His family hope to bury him at St Lawrence’s Church, Tallington, next week. Mr Ransom wished to be buried in the village where he grew up.

Mr Ransom is survived by partner Suzie Levett and their one-year-old son Jake along with his 14-year-old son Jordan, who lives in Deeping St James.

Electrical engineer and production manager Mr Ransom moved to Hong Kong more than two years ago with his former employer Landis+Gyr, which has an office in Northfields Industrial Estate, Market Deeping.

In paying tribute to his son, Mr Ransom, whose wife Angela died three years ago, said: “From childhood, Simon always had a lovely smile.

“He always aimed to please and he was always helpful and caring.

“He was a determined person, once he had his mind set on something he wanted, that was his objective.

“He enjoyed taking part in various things, especially if it was a challenge.”

Mr Ransom was born in Stamford Hospital and was raised in Tallington with brothers Andrew, 42, of Haconby, and Jonathan, 25, of York.

He attended Tallington Primary School but transferred to Uffington when the previous school closed.

After leaving Stamford School, Mr Ransom joined Ampy, which went onto become Landis- Gyr.

He worked for the electrical company for 20 years and also gained a masters degree.

Mr Ransom moved to Hong Kong more than two years ago to work with the company’s south east Asia operations.

He had recently left the company and was hoping to set up his own business.

Prior to his move, Mr Ransom had been a member of Bourne Round Table for a year.

During that time he had helped to organise the popular Bourne Festival and the charity’s beer tent at the Riverside Festival, Stamford.

Friend Neil Bothwell said: “He was a really good guy and very conscientious and will be sadly missed.

“He was very active and when all the guys found out they were totally shocked and saddened by the news.”

A 41-year-old woman has been arrested in connection with the accident.