Perkins Great Eastern Run in Peterborough cancelled due to what is believed to have been a bomb threat
The Perkins Great Eastern Run has been cancelled this morning (October 13) due to a suspected bomb threat.
Race officials told runners - including Mercury news editor Suzanne Moon - that there had been a 'bomb threat' at mile 11.
Police have confirmed 'suspicious activity' had taken place. Read the latest update on this - police have issued a new statement.
Suzanne said: "The race was due to start at 10.30am, but then five minutes passed, then 10, and people in the start pens were getting cold and restless.
"It was then announced that there had been a 'serious incident on the course', and at about 11am another announcement told us that the race was cancelled.
"Everyone went straight to the baggage reclaim tent, and it was while queueing there that a race official came around and said that there had been a 'bomb threat at mile 11'.
"It's understandable that a serious incident like that would result in police and race organisers having to cancel, and it's a huge pity for them. They will have put in a lot of time and effort into the organisation of an event this big."
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Police said: "We were called at 9.50 this morning with reports of a man acting suspiciously in Alexandra Road, Peterborough, close to the route of the Perkins Great Eastern Run.
"This information was passed to the race director who made the decision to cancel the race."
In a statement, the organisers said: "Owing to a police incident the Perkins Great Eastern Run has been cancelled.
"Further updates will be provided when we can.
"Apologies to all and thank you for your patience."
Witness misinterpreted what was seen, say police.
More by this authorMatthew Brown