A family from Bourne is raising money to say thank you to two charities

Fundraisers Victoria and Billy Bull with daughters Charlotte and Jessica and baby Lewis
Fundraisers Victoria and Billy Bull with daughters Charlotte and Jessica and baby Lewis
Share this article
Have your say

A COUPLE are delighted with the response to a fundraising campaign for two charities to say thank you for the help received by their son.

Billy and Victoria Bull, of Broadway Close, Bourne, are trying to raise awareness of meningitis after their son Lewis contracted the potentially fatal disease.

Lewis did not have the usual distinctive rash symptom associated with the disease and was treated in Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge.

His parents were unable to hold or comfort Lewis as he screamed due to the pain caused by pneumococcal meningitis.

Two months on, 10-month-old Lewis has seen off the disease and is back to his normal happy self.

Mrs Bull’s employers, Building Blocks Nursery, Exeter Street, Bourne, have been running fundraising events over the last week. So far £100 has been raised for the Sick Child Trust and the Meningitis Trust, which have helped the Bull family. More fundraising events are planned.

Mrs Bull said: “We are pleased with the response, it has been good and we are very grateful.”

Pneumococcal meningitis causes the layers which surround the brain and spinal cord to become infected.

There were 200 reported cases in the UK in 2008 and symptoms include headache, sickness, fitting, sensitivity to light and a rash.

Lewis suffered a cold in the week before the meningitis struck, on May 12.

Mrs Bull says he did not want to wake up that morning. She took him to the doctors who advised her to go to Peterborough City Hospital.

Doctors there soon diagnosed meningitis and began treating him. On the third and fourth days of his hospital stay Lewis began to suffer fits. He was screaming with pain despite being given medication.

His condition got worse and he was transferred to Addenbrookes in Cambridge. He was sedated and put on a life support machine for the journey and following day, when further scans were carried out.

Six days after he fell ill, Lewis was taken off life support and given strong antibiotics. A week later the family could come home.

Fundraising at the nursery has included a cake stall and games. An open day is planned on Saturday, July 30. Manager Esther Dosunmu said: “The parents have been supportive.”