Health watchdog gives all-clear to Stamford Hospital redevelopment plan

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

A health watchdog has recommended Stamford Hospital stay open and has backed a £3.8m plan to redevelop it.

Monitor gave the recommendation at a press conference today (Thursday) after an investigation into Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals Trust.

A business case for revamping Stamford Hospital will now go before the trust’s board and, if approved, work could begin early next year.

Interim chief executive at the trust Dr Peter Reading said: “This is a good news report for patients. It secures the long term future of the two hospitals.

“It gives support for the plans to redevelop Stamford Hospital which will make better use of the estate and bring more patients in.

“I get a very strong view from the people of Stamford that this is a positive move.”

The plan for Stamford Hospital was revealed in September last year. The trust wants to redevelop 40 per cent of the site and bring in a partner to run the remaining 60 per cent as part of a health campus.

The business case will now go before the trust board on September 24 for recommendations. It will then need to be approved by the trust’s council of governors on October 9.

Monitor also put forward four recommendations to help reduce the deficit the trust faces as it tries to pay off the public finance agreement used to build Peterborough City Hospital.

The recommendations are for the trust to make efficiency savings of £10m per year, invite tenders from private and public providers to make better use of the Peterborough City Hospital site, form a regional steering group to encourage more co-operation between neighbouring health services and seek Government funding to make up any residual deficit.

The full report can be read on the Monitor website.