More than 20 planned surgical operations have been cancelled in just one week at Peterborough City Hospital.
Twenty-five people who were due to have surgery at the hospital were told their operations had been cancelled because of a lack of bed space.
The figures have been released by the hospital and show that on November 11, seven operations were axed and the following day that figure had risen to 14.
A further operation was cancelled the following day and three more were axed on the Thursday. None have been cancelled since.
Angus Maitland, the trust’s chief operating officer,said; “We have seen a spike in the number of patients requiring medical admissions in the past five weeks, but we cannot attribute this to any particular reason other than a higher than usual level of general illness in the community.”
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Clinical Commissioning Group’s chief clinical officer Dr Neil Modha said the minor illness and injury unit, which opened on October 1, had resulted in about 80 fewer people going to the hospital’s emergency department each week. He said the group was working hard so people were better informed about how to prevent illness.