Home   News   Article

Killer strimmer strikes again




Castle Lane in Stamford where the wildflowers were cut. Photo: Andrew Stone
Castle Lane in Stamford where the wildflowers were cut. Photo: Andrew Stone

Mystery surrounds the destruction of wildflowers along a section of the Stamford in Bloom 2018 Heritage Route.

Stamford in Bloom organiser Ann Ellis said someone had used a strimmer to cut back the plants along Castle Lane, a public footpath which connects St Peter’s Hill to Bath Row.

She said this was not the first time it had happened.

“The plants were cut back last year but that individual has since moved.”

Ann said she had contacted Stamford Town Council and South Kesteven District Council to find out if they had any knowledge of the matter.

“But their contractor assured me it was not them so we’re none the wiser as to who could have done it.”

The town is taking part in the East Midlands in Bloom competition for the first time in about 30 years.

Judges are expected to visit sometime from July 5 to 13 and Ann said it would be disastrous if the plants were cut just before they came.

Stamford is entered in the new heritage towns category, with the selected route showing off the areas history.

An agreement has been reached with local authorities that the verges of the Castle Lane pathway would remain wild and that the Stamford in Bloom team would maintain it along with other areas of the route.

“We thought we were in control of this section but clearly we’re not,” said Ann.

She appealed to whoever had done the cutting to work with the team.

“Any cutting needs to be carefully planned,” said Ann.

For information, e-mail stamford18bloom@gmail.com



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More