Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials cancelled for first time in its 59-year history
The Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials, which takes place at Burghley House near Stamford, has been cancelled for the first time in its history due to the coronavirus outbreak.
In a statement released today, the organisers said they were making the announcement with "great disappointment and sadness". The event had been due to move to a five-day event this year and should have been running from Wednesday, September 1, until Sunday, September 5.
It is the first time since the event started in 1961 that it has had to be cancelled.
The statement said: "We must however act responsibly, and our absolute priority is the health and safety of our community, including everyone directly involved with the event; our visitors, sponsors, competitors, owners, helpers, trade exhibitors and contractors. Particular thanks are due to our insurance brokers and underwriters who have guided us through this period."
Sir Richard Jewson, chairman of the Burghley Horse Trials Committee, said: “One of the joys of being involved with Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials is to be continually reminded how much this iconic event is loved by the many who create, take part and attend. We are so appreciative of the support and co-operation that we have received at this difficult time; not least from our title sponsor Land Rover. We wish everyone well in these uncertain times.
"We must now focus our efforts on planning the 2021 event and which all of us are sure will be a special celebration.”
More Burghley Horse Trials news from the Mercury:
- How do you feel that the Burghley Horse Trials has been cancelled? Share your views by e-mailing: email@example.com