'Vast majority' of Lincolnshire children secure first choice for primary school
The vast majority of children, 94%, have been offered a place at a school of their choice this year, according to Lincolnshire County Council.
Along with the rest of the country, the county council says it has experienced high numbers of families wanting their children to start school in September.
There are around 7,500 children in Lincolnshire wanting a school place this year.
Of the offers made to Lincolnshire primary schools, 7065 (94.17%) children will receive their first choice of school.
The council says this is is a minor decrease on last year's 'impressive' 95.02%.
A further 292 (3.89%) have been offered their second choice, and 50 (0.67%) more their third choice.
A small minority of children, 95 (1.27%), will be offered a local school that isn’t one of their 3 preferences.
Coun Mrs Patricia Bradwell, Executive Councillor for Children’s Services, said: “I am delighted to see so many children getting their first school of preference and this should be even better by September.
"It's always our intention to support as many parents as possible with their preferences. Every year the overwhelming majority of parents are successful in gaining admission to the school of their choice.”
The vast majority of parents/carers will receive an e-mail containing a secure link to their offer letter on April 16.
Parents have until May 21 to lodge an appeal if they are unhappy with the offered school. If they return the appeal form by the deadline it will be heard before the end of term - if it is received late it will still be heard, but this may be in September.
Because of appeals and movement on the reserve list, it is usual for the percentage of first choice to increase by the time children start in September.
Further information on school admissions can be found at www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/schooladmissions