Mama Liz’s Bar and Stamford Music Shop damaged in fires

Share this article
Have your say

A BAR and a music shop were damaged in two fires last night.

Four fire crews were called to Stamford Music Shop in St Mary’s Hill, Stamford, at 11.50pm after receiving reports of smoke in a flat stairwell.

The basement of the music shop, including musical instruments, was badly damaged in the fire and the shop and flats above were also damaged by smoke.

The cause was a faulty dehumidifier.

Owner David Hollands said the damage was “horrible” but could have been a lot worse.

He said: “Luckily the door was shut otherwise the whole place would have gone up.

“We have got to sit down and count up all the damage. But we will soon get back to normal.”

Mr Hollands said he hoped to clean up to smoke damage in the shop and be back open for business later today.

Fire crews from Stamford and Market Deeping were also called to Mama Liz’s Bar and Voodoo Lounge in North Street at 3.30am after receiving a call from an alarm company.

There was smoke damage to the ground and first floor and the cause was a tealight left unattended.

Louise Rudkin, from Mama Liz’s, said: “I opened up this morning and wondered what the smell was, I didn’t know anything had happened.

“It was only small, just a candle that had fallen over.

“It won’t affect anything and it hasn’t damaged anything. We are open as usual.”

A crew from Stamford also attended an Aga fire in Steadfold Lane, Tinwell, at about 11.20am on Sunday. It was caused by dust that had built up in the Aga, which set alight when the Aga was switched on.

And a crew was also called out to Rutland Way, Ryhall, at 8.20pm, after reports of an alarm going off. But when they arrived it was a false alarm.