Man dies in flat fire

Have your say

POLICE have named a man killed in a fire at his village home on Tuesday morning.

David Atkins, 60, of Carver Court, Empingham Road, Ketton, died at the scene after fire crews were called to his ground floor flat at 8.30am and tried to revive him.

Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze was started by a discarded cigarette.

The flat is owned by housing association Spire Homes. Director of housing Katy Sagoe said: “Our main concern at this time is for the family, friends and neighbours of Mr Atkins and our thoughts are with them at this very sad time.”