Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Inquest finds man had asthma attack before his death at Stocken Prison in Rutland

More news, no ads


The death of a 22-year-old man at a Rutland prison has sparked calls for 'lessons to be learned'.

Eshea Nile Dillon, who was known as Nile, died at Stocken Prison in Stretton after suffering a severe asthma attack in his locked cell.

He was in a single cell and called for help but eight minutes passed before prison officers attended. By then Nile had lost consciousness.

Eshea Nile Dillon, who was known as Nile
Eshea Nile Dillon, who was known as Nile

He received CPR before an ambulance crew arrived but was pronounced dead by medics. He died on March 24, 2018

Nile's family is calling for lessons to be learned following an inquest into his death, conducted earlier this week at Rutland and North Leicestershire Coroner’s Court

The hearing delivered an ‘open’ conclusion with the cause of death not ascertained, but it highlighted issues in the care Nile received.

These included a missed opportunity to use a 'code blue' alert on the prison officer radio system, which immediately calls for an ambulance. Code blue means someone is experiencing cardiac or respiratory arrest.

In addition, the prison officer responding did not know they could enter a cell without a supporting officer if they felt there was an immediate risk to life and so did not exercise this discretion.

Speaking after the inquest concluded, Simpson Millar legal expert Aimee Brackfield, who acted on behalf of Nile’s family through the charity Inquest, said: “As detailed throughout the hearing, there were a number of issues with regards the care that Nile received that raise important questions about the training that HMP Stocken staff received.

“While the family accept that had the prison offers acted sooner to call for emergency medical support it is unlikely to have changed the outcome, it is their hope that lessons will be learned in order to prevent any future, avoidable tragedies."

Nile, who was from Hackney in London, had trained in travel and tourism and had worked as a hotel apprentice. It is believed he was groomed in his teens and became involved in criminal and gang activity.

He was sent to Woodhill Prison in Milton Keynes in March 2017 for drug offences and was transferred to Stocken Prison three months later.

Nile had asthma since childhood and had a lung capacity of just 55 per cent. He was prescribed medication, to be administered through a nebuliser or inhaler.

Two days before his death he had seen a nurse for an asthma review and reported frequent shortness of breath and asthma symptoms.

A spokesman for the prison service said: “Our deepest sympathies remain with Mr Dillon’s family and friends. We will consider the coroner’s verdict and respond in due course.”

Inquest is a charity providing bereaved families with expertise on state-related deaths and their investigation.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More