Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Man jailed for violence in Red Lion Square, Stamford

A drunken man who seriously injured two men was today (Friday, January 15) jailed for nine months.

Rehaan Khan punched each of his victims once leaving them with serious facial injuries after violence broke out in Red Lion Square, Stamford.

Sarah Phelan, prosecuting, told Lincoln Crown Court that the trouble began in the early hours of June 23, 2019 when groups of people gathered in the square after bars and clubs closed for the evening.

Red Lion Square, Stamford
Red Lion Square, Stamford

Trouble began when a comment was made which led to a number of fights breaking out.

Miss Phelan said that when Khan arrived in the square, he was so drunk that his friends had to hold him up.

During the violence Khan walked up to the first victim Maxim Eames who was simply standing still with his hands in his pockets.

“The defendant was seen to run at Mr Eames and punch him once to the side of the face. Mr Eames fell to the ground.

“A witness then saw a second man Tom Giddens approached by the defendant from behind. The defendant then delivered a single punch to the side of his head.”

Police officers arrived at the scene at 3am and Khan was arrested.

The two victims suffered serious facial injuries with each, among other injuries, suffering a fractured eye socket.

Khan made no comment when interviewed by police officers but the court was told that when he was spoken to later by a probation officer, he claimed that the victims were the aggressors and he acted in self-defence.

But in court Khan, 21, of Clarence Road, Millfield, Peterborough, admitted two charges of inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Judge John Pini QC jailed him for nine months. The judge told Khan “You were totally drunk. These were unprovoked assaults which caused serious injury. There is very considerable public disquiet about these sort of offences.

“The offences are too serious to be dealt with in any other way than by an immediate custodial sentence.”

Anthony Barraclough, in mitigation, urged that Khan should be spared jail.

He said that Khan has been on bail during the 18 months since the offences and has not been involved in any further trouble.

“He has no previous convictions. These were two single punches and he pleaded guilty.

“This was perhaps an isolated drunken incident. Please don’t send him to immediate custody.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More