Man taken to hospital after trying to tackle bungalow fire in Glinton

Share this article
Have your say

A MAN was taken to hospital yesterday (Tuesday) after trying to tackle a fire at his home in caused by a discarded cigarette.

The fire started at 2pm in the bedroom of a bungalow in Holmes Road, Glinton.

Firefighters were called and the fire was well developed when they arrived.

However, all the occupants had managed to escape by the time they got to the scene.

One man was taken to hospital by ambulance for smoke inhalation.

The house has been extensively damaged by fire, with one bedroom in ruins. There was also fire and smoke damage to the rest of the house and the roof.

The fire was accidental and caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette.

Callum Faint, station commander for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Unfortunately one of the occupants suffered smoke inhalation after attempting to tackle the fire themselves.

“If you discover a fire please get straight out of the house, stay out and call 999. A fire can spread extremely quickly and you can easily become trapped.

“This fire is also a reminder about how easily cigarettes can start fires. Never smoke in bed and make sure you always discard cigarettes properly - even an extinguished cigarette can be hot enough to start a fire.”

Firefighters had the blaze under control by 4.15pm.