Home   News   Article

The Green School in Market Deeping opens its doors as part of the Heritage Open Day 2019




Former pupils of a historic former school were re-united during an open day at the weekend.

The doors of the Green School on Halfleet in Market Deeping were opened on Saturday as part of the Deepings Heritage Open Day.

Several hundred people came along to explore the history of the school to view an exhibition of many photographs and memorabilia.

Visitors inspect the exhibition. Photo: Greg Ford
Visitors inspect the exhibition. Photo: Greg Ford

Former pupils, including some who had not met for over 60 years, mingled together and shared numerous memories.

Theseincluded recalling the rocking horse in the porch, the tepid or frozen milk and drying their wet clothes near the anthracite stoves.

Elaine Johnson, daughter of Mrs Johnson who was headmistress from 1922 to 1942, also returned with her family to share her own stories.

The day was further enhanced by a display of local farming and craft tools from Robert Redshaw.

Former pupil and Market Deeping artist John Mills also exhibited some of his paintings that depicted 'old Deeping'.

The building dates back to 1851 and was a Church of England school.

Originally for girls, in 1875 it extended to take in infant boys.

The Feoffees (Boys Endowed) School has a much longer history.

The schools merged in 1942 and closed in 1966 to be replaced by the current William Hildyard School.

The Green School is currently used as the St Guthlac's Church Hall and was built on land donated by the then Rector, the Reverend William Hildyard.

Mary Wensor also gave £400 in her will towards building costs with Elizabeth Molecey giving a trust of £200.

Deepings Heritage would also like to hear more memories of the school for a future book.

Click here to read more of the latest news.


More by this author



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More