Stamford swimming pool closed due to norovirus winter vomiting bug
A pool has been closed as an emergency measure after a swimmer visited the facility while unwell with the winter vomiting bug norovirus.
The Stamford School Sports Centre Memorial Pool off Conduit Road is now closed for 48 hours and will re-open on Sunday.
In an e-mail to pool users, Emma Hancock, sport and leisure manager, said the pool is closed as "a precaution to ensure that the pool is safe for all to use". The fitness suite will remain open as normal.
Do you have norovirus?
According to the NHS, the main symptoms of norovirus are:
- feeling sick
- being sick
- a high temperature of 38C or above
- a headache
- aching arms and legs
The symptoms start suddenly within 1 to 2 days of being infected.
People with the symptoms are advised to stay off school or work until the symptoms have stopped for two days.
Norovirus can be spread by close contact with someone with norovirus, touching surfaces or objects that have the virus on them, then touching your mouth, or eating food that's been prepared or handled by someone with norovirus.
Washing hands frequently with soap and water is the best way to stop it spreading. Alcohol hand gels don't kill norovirus.
More by this authorSuzanne Moon