JOHN Martin MBE, founder of John Martin and Associates, died at his home in Woodnewton on Thursday July 28, after a courageous battle against cancer.
Born in Cambridge in 1946, Mr Martin was educated at the Perse School. He was articled to Carter Jonas and after qualifying joined the Peterborough Development Corporation. In 1973 he joined the estate agency practice of Ekins Dilley and Handley, where two years later he was made a partner. He became National Land Director of the Prudential when it bought out Ekins Dilley and Handley, and subsequently transferred to the Woolwich when it in turn acquired the Prudential’s planning business.
In 1993 Mr Martin set up his own planning and development consultancy, John Martin and Associates, at Farm Hall Offices, Godmanchester. Over the years the firm built up an impressive client list and in 2007, to safeguard the long term business prospects of the firm and its employees, the practice merged with chartered surveyors, land and estate agents, King West.
John had been a member of Peterborough Cathedral’s congregation throughout his time in the area. He became involved with its fundraising appeal in the 1990s, contributing greatly to its success, and as a result of his efforts was appointed MBE in 2001. Up until his death he served as a lay member of the Cathedral Chapter.
His life long interest in politics led him to meet his future wife Jane, who he married in 1986. With her he shared his lifelong love of boats and sailing, most recently embodied in his proud ownership of a classic wooden Thames river boat. He was also chairman of the trustees of Samuel Pepys house at Brampton.
Mr Martin is survived by his widow Jane and daughter Rebecca.
A private burial service took place at Woodnewton Church followed by a thanksgiving service at Peterborough Cathedral.