Party-goers clear up rubbish at site of illegal rave and criticise police response to events
Party-goers were cleaning up at Twyford Wood a week after police shut down an illegal rave there and arrested 43 people.
Four men were at the site near Bourne at noon today (Sunday, May 31) to begin the clear-up following dramatic events a week earlier which saw three police officers and a police dog injured.
Although none of the men had been at the rave, they felt the ravers had been unfairly portrayed in the media and had not been given the chance to clear up the mess which they were intending to before the police intervention.
A group of 30 ravers were also said to be on their way to the site for the early afternoon to help out.
The police reaction to the rave was criticised by both the men clearing up this afternoon and another who was present at the time.
Dean Cooper (46) from King’s Lynn, felt Lincolnshire Police had massively overreacted in the way it had handled events.
While not wanting to condone the behaviour of some of the ravers, Dean said: “No officers came into assist or ask what’s going on.
“It was over the top and a massive overreaction. All it would have taken was some communication.
“I went to the rave with my son and daughter and it was a friendly atmosphere.”
The rubbish left at Twyford Wood includes bottles, balloons, clothes and even a sofa.
One of the men clearing up, who did not wish to be named, said he was there to support the rave scene and wished to point out that there were no needles lying around.
Having seen videos of the police response, he added: “I think the way the police handled it was totally wrong.”
It has also been said that a man from Wales who attended the rave is still in Twyford Wood having had his van confiscated by police.
The response by Lincolnshire Police to the ravers is also thought to have been reported to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
Following last weekend’s event, a statement from Lincolnshire Police claimed 1,000 people had turned up, with an estimated 200 people attacking officers.
Thirteen people have been charged with various offences relating to the rave.
A further six people aged between 16 and 27 years old were cautioned for possession of drugs, while 26 people were released on police bail to return to police stations when further enquiries have been carried out.
The offences under investigation include possession of drugs, organising a rave, failing to comply with a direction to proceed, violent disorder, driving offences, possession of an offensive weapon and assault.
Three people were released without charge and no further action will be taken against them. Several vehicles and pieces of equipment were seized by police during the rave.
Police are asking owners of abandoned vehicles to come forward, as part of their investigation into the incident. A spokesman said: “We will want to know your full name, date of birth, contact address and numbers and the details of any vehicle or equipment that you are enquiring about. If you have any reference numbers that will be useful too.