Peterborough’s Thomas Cook axes bookings to Red Sea resort for the summer
Peterborough-based holiday giant Thomas Cook has cancelled its entire summer season at Sharm el Sheikh.
The operator, based in Bretton, says the move comes following a “no change” in Foreign Office advice on travel through the resort’s airport, from which a Russian charter flight was bombed in October last year.
Thomas Cook had previously cancelled bookings to the resort until May 25.
Now it has extended that ban to October 31.
A company spokeswoman said: “In light of this, and given that we have no clear indication as to when the Foreign Office travel advice may change, Thomas Cook can confirm that it has taken the decision to cancel all bookings to Sharm el Sheikh up to and including Monday October 31, 2016.”
Any customers who were due to travel up to and including Monday October 31, 2016 can cancel or amend their holiday to another destination free of charge.
The spokeswoman added: “We will contact customers individually, prioritising those due to travel soonest.
“We have increased staff in our contact centre to cope with the expected volume of calls.”
A dedicated line for travel agent enquiries has also been set up, open from 8.30 am to 7pm (10-5pm Sunday) on 01733 224 520.