Stamford Town Council has still made no official comment on plans to tear down a controversial fence around the cemetery a week after losing a planning appeal.
The 2.4m steel fence, which cost the council more than £16,000 to erect, has to be taken down after a decision made by the Planning Inspectorate on Wednesday last week.
The town council had applied for retrospective planning permission from South Kesteven District Council for the fence but this was refused. Its appeal over the decision was then rejected with the fence labelled as “austere and harsh” and “very visible” to nearby residential streets by planning inspector Zoe Raygen.
The fence had been put up between Stamford Cemetery and a nearby playground in November 2014.
Last week, town clerk Patricia Stuart-Mogg said a statement would be issued “as soon as the committee has had chance to view the appeal decision.”
Despite repeated calls yesterday, which the Stamford Mercury was told had been passed on to the clerk, no official response from the council was given.
Town councillor Mike Exton chairs the amenities committee which looks after the cemetery. He said he had his own thoughts on the matter but that it was the town clerk’s duty to make a press comment.
Cllr Susan Sandall, Town Mayor, said she was also unable to comment. She added that there had been a meeting on Tuesday and that “there was going to be a press release for the Mercury” issued by the town clerk.
Last week’s decision was welcomed by Paul Oleksow, who lives in Elizabeth Road which faces the fence. Commenting shortly after the decision was announced, he said: “We’re looking forward to being able to enjoy the pleasure of our garden once more.”