Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Rutland columnist Allan Grey appeals for Leicester Tigers match recording after problem with television remotes

More news, no ads


After nearly 50 years of marriage to the lovely lady, every now and then the thought of one of us departing before the other crosses our minds. The lovely lady will occasionally ask me what I’d miss if she departed first.

“Well”, I reply, “I’d miss your love, your compassion, your smile, your friendship, your sunny demeanour, your wonderful cooking, and so much more. What would you miss most if I were to depart first?”

“I’d never be able to work the wretched television,” she replies.

A variety of remotes for the lovely lady to choose from
A variety of remotes for the lovely lady to choose from

And guess what? Last Saturday she had a dry run. Unable to join me to support the Tigers at Welford Road for the Saracens match, she settled down to watch the game on TV, whilst in pouring rain I had gone to the match with a good friend. Just before half time I feel the vibration of my mobile phone. It’s the lovely lady, and she’s not happy, in fact she’s decidedly grumpy.

“I can’t get the wretched TV working, the screen is blank, what do I need to do? I’ve sent you a picture of the many boxes, and all the remotes via WhatsApp, showing red lights, green lights, and blue lights, what do they all mean, which boffing remote should I use?”

“Right, stay calm,” I say, which always helps, NOT. “On the BT box you should have a blue light on the left, and a red light on the right, make sure the red light stays on, because that means it’s recording the match, and I’ll want to watch it when I get home, and see why the referee made all those stupid decisions and gave all those first half penalties to Saracens, when he should have given them to Tigers... the red light - make sure it stays on!”

Rutland columnist Allan Grey (48177266)
Rutland columnist Allan Grey (48177266)

Tigers start the second half 3-9 down, in what continues to be a kickfest, with Saracens much the better at it. Handling of the ball in the pouring rain is difficult and many balls are dropped, mostly by Tigers players, it’s a frustrating game.

Going into the last 10 minutes Tigers are 3-12 down, and have a try disallowed, but then George Ford adds a penalty making is 6-12, just need a converted try to win the game, but with less than five minutes left this outcome is for the dreamers, and maybe Steve Borthwick, Saracens are far too smart to let this one slip.

Eighty minutes are up, and the ball has gone into touch, game over, but wait, an illegal tackle has given Tigers a penalty, it’s a kick to the corner, a line out, and an almighty Tigers maul is pulled down illegally by Saracens, yellow card, and then the referee, bless him, awards a penalty try, the full seven points, now the game really is over, Tigers have won 13-12! Unbelievable! The Welford Road faithful are ecstatic, what a great referee he turned out to be after all.

I commiserate without too much sincerity with the three noisy Sarries fans sitting behind, but now I can’t wait to get home and watch the last 15 minutes several times over to cherish the most unlikely win against the hated Saracens, as well as hearing what the players and the coach all have to say.

We drive home and both agree it’s been one of the most amazing finishes to a rugby match we can remember.

Once inside the lovely lady tells me how frustrating the wretched TV has been, how she tried all seven remotes, none of which did diddly squat, and how the whole shebang very nearly went out the window.

It was only when she turned everything off at the wall socket, and then turned everything on again that she got the TV working.

Now I’m feeling apprehensive, seriously nervous in fact, did the recording end at this point?

I check the recording, just 39 minutes of an 80 minute game, and of course no second half, no amazing penalty try finish to watch several times over with a large gin and tonic. Yep, my greatest fear is confirmed.

However, at least the lovely lady now knows how to get the TV working, when all else fails, switch the power off, and then switch it on again, the last resort for most things electrical. Best of all she’ll not have to miss me at all when I’m gone...

And by the way, does anyone out there still have the match recording, pretty please?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More