Seven homes evacuated after gas explosion in Deeping St James

Have your say

1pm: ABOUT 20 people were evacuated from their homes after a gas explosion at a sewage pump.

Police asked families in Manor Way, Deeping St James to leave their houses at about 8pm last night after a ruptured gas main sparked a blaze at a sewage pumping switch station nearby.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue say gas leaking from an underground main was ignited by an electrical switch in a sewage pumping plant – blowing the doors of the shed-like installation into the road and setting the plant on fire.

Flames spread to a section of fence belonging to Deeping St James Primary School. About four metres of fencing were destroyed.

A police spokesman said no one was hurt and the families were allowed to return to their homes after the area was made safe between 6am and 7am today.

Officers guarded the scene while emergency services dealt with the incident.

Fire crews were called to the scene shortly after 7pm.