Stamford ranks in top 20 small towns and villages searched for most online
Stamford features in a list of 20 of the UK's most searched small towns and villages on the internet put together by a holiday rental search engine.
With the Covid-19 restrictions still active, rural getaways to nearby and less crowded areas have become the alternative for most tourism lovers. It was with this in mind that Likibu.co.uk put together the list of towns and villages with fewer than 20,000 residents.
Stamford is placed at 19th in the list with 27,100 monthly searches. It comes just a few weeks after the town was also named best place to live in the Midlands by The Sunday Times.
Meanwhile, tourist village Portmeirion in North Wales, which is based on an Italian village style and has featured in several films and television shows, comes in at the top with 110,000 monthly searches.
The full list is
1. Portmeirion (Gwynedd, North Wales) - 110,000 monthly searches.
2. Whitby (North Yorkshire, England) - 90,500 monthly searches
3. Bourton-on-the-Water (Gloucestershire, England) - 74,000 monthly searches
4. Alnwick (Northumberland, England) - 71,700 monthly searches
5. Tenby (Pembrokeshire, Wales) - 49,890 monthly searches
6. Cirencester (Gloucestershire, England) - 49,820 monthly searches
7. Salcombe (Devon, England) - 49,710 monthly searches
8. Robin Hood’s Bay (North Yorkshire, England) - 49,550 monthly searches
9. Keswick (Cumbria, England) - 40,890 monthly searches
10. Hebden Bridge (West Yorkshire, England) - 40,570 monthly searches
11. Castle Combe (Wiltshire, England) - 40,540 monthly searches
12. Looe (Cornwall, England) - 39,200 monthly searches
13. Oban (Argyll and Bute, Scotland) - 33,580 monthly searches
14. Bakewell (Derbyshire, England) - 33,420 monthly searches
15. Corfe Castle (Dorset, England) - 33,150 monthly searches
16. Clovelly (Devon, England) - 33,110 monthly searches
17. Ambleside (Cumbria, England) - 27,400 monthly searches
18. Polperro (Cornwall, England) - 27,160 monthly searches
19. Stamford (Lincolnshire, England) - 27,100 monthly searches
20. Burford (Oxfordshire, England) - 22,250 monthly searches
The number of monthly searches on the internet was obtained using digital marketing tools. For those towns that presented the same number of searches, the search volume of the query 'what to see in X' has been used to determine which destination had the higher search volume.
Officially created in January 2015 by Aurélien Jemma and Guillaume Terrain, Likibu.co.uk is a search engine dedicated to the comparison of holiday rentals. It allows consumers to find rentals available on dozens of real estate agency websites, private listing sites, and online travel agencies in a single search.