Three Counties says thanks for support after fire
A dog rehoming centre has thanked those who responded to an appeal for donations after a fire in which three dogs died.
Fire crews were called to Dawsmere Kennel and Cattery in Spalding Road, Bourne, at about 5.20am on Monday. A fire had broken out in the reception area of the kennels.
Three crews put out the flames but tragically three dogs, which were being kept in the reception area overnight, died in the fire. The dogs, named Dave, Daisy and Teal, had been taken in by Three Counties Dog Rescue, which shares the site with Dawsmere.
The office was used to store food and bedding, most of which was destroyed in the fire. On Monday afternoon Three Counties launched an appeal for donations to help feed and look after the many dogs they look after. And the response from all over the country was fantastic.
Max Mauchline, husband of Three Counties founder Gyll, said: “We have had a super response. We’ve had a lot of donations, lots of offers of bedding and food from individuals and companies as well.”
Thanks to stories in the press, on the radio and television, word about the appeal spread far and wide. Donations came from across the country and further afield, with one person in Christ Church, New Zealand offering help. Max added: “It’s very encouraging the amount of support we have had from everyone.”
The office was used by Three Counties as a space to meet prospective owners. It was completely destroyed in the fire but thankfully a mobile office has been donated for temporary use.
People have also been donating money by texting, and scores have shown their support with comments on the Three Counties Facebook page. Thurlby Primary School sent an appeal to parents and Holby City and Casualty actress Amanda Mealing tweeted the appeal to her 22,000 followers.
If you would like to help, donations can be made by texting TCDR13 followed by an amount, such as £5, to 70070. Bedding can be left at Burghley Vets in St Leonard’s Street, Stamford. People can also visit www.threecountiesdogrescue.org.
Max said: “The disaster happened. It’s about going forward from here.”
A spokesman for Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue said it was thought the fire was caused by an electric heater that fell over on to a towel.