Home   News   Article

Warning: Christmas plants could poison your cat or dog




Warning: Christmas plants could poison your cat or dog
Warning: Christmas plants could poison your cat or dog

Festive flora might be making your home feel more Christmassy - but they could be bad news for your pets.

While merry mistletoe, a twinkling pine and ruby red poinsettia will ensure that festive feeling, they’re among several seasonal plants and trees that can be poisonous to cats and dogs.

In fact, more than three-quarters (78%) of British homes contain plants that are toxic to cats and dogs.

With such a large number containing toxic plants it’s perhaps no surprise that almost 10% of cats and dogs have fallen ill after ingesting the dangerous plant life.

Of those, 43% subsequently needed urgent veterinary care, while 15% died.

Popular Christmas plants that can be dangerous to pets include:

Poinsettia: mildly toxic to cats and dogs. Can cause vomiting or poorly tummy

Amaryllis: mild to moderate toxicity. Can cause vomiting, poorly tummy, hypotension

Hyacinth: mildly toxic to cats and dogs. Can cause vomiting or poorly tummy

Mistletoe: mild to moderate toxicity. In small doses can result in mild signs of gastrointestinal irritation (e.g., drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain). When ingested in large amounts, abnormal heart rate, collapse, hypotension (low blood pressure), ataxia (walking drunk), seizures and death have also been reported.

Holly: Mild to moderate toxicity. Can cause drooling, vomiting and gastrointestinal upset

Christmas Tree: mildly toxic. The fir tree oils can be irritating to the mouth and stomach, causing excessive drooling or vomiting.

One in every three pet owners (31%) admit they have no idea if the plants and flowers they own are toxic to animals.

The same number were unaware that plants could even be poisonous to pets, while 71% of all pet owners cannot identify any of the symptoms of poisoning in their cat or dog.

The findings form part of MORE TH>N’s ongoing Pet Safe campaign, designed to raise awareness of the issue of cats and dogs being poisoned by plants and flowers.

It is directly calling on plant producers, manufacturers of plant products and retailers to provide clearer labelling to help pet owners easily identify if items are safe or harmful to cats and dogs.

John Ellenger, head of pet insurance at MORE TH>N, commented: “Christmas is a time of year where people’s houses will be full of seasonal plants that could be poisonous to animals – including the Christmas tree itself.

“However, it’s not just the flora that poses a risk. Mince pies, raisin-laden Christmas puddings and chocolate are all potentially life-threatening to dogs, so it’s incredibly important that as households gear up for the festive season, they remember to take measures to keep their beloved pets safe.”

General symptoms of poisoning:

* Oral or skin irritation

* Upset stomach/vomiting /diarrhoea

* Weakness

* Rapid breathing

* Fever

* Drooling

* Coma

* Heart failure

* Excitability or lethargy

* Tremors/Seizures/Fitting

* Increased thirst

* Dilated pupils

* Dizziness/loss of balance



COMMENTS
()


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More