Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Langham man denies attempted murder of Oakham woman as trial starts at Leicester Crown Court

More news, no ads


A Rutland man denies attempted murder after a court heard he stabbed a woman 10 times.

Following an incident in Bullfinch Close, Oakham on January 21 last year, Robert Truscott of Lowther Close, Langham was charged with attempted murder, grievous bodily harm and possession of a knife.

At Leicester Crown Court today (January 5), a jury was told that while drunk Truscott, 48, went to the home of Emma Wolfenden and stabbed her several times.

Leicester Crown Court. Photo: Google
Leicester Crown Court. Photo: Google

It was also alleged that he caused injury to a 26-year-old man, who Miss Wolfenden had met for the first time that night after connecting on dating website Tinder.

The prosecutor told the court that in October 2020, Miss Wolfenden wrote a letter to the defendant, who she had known for four years, in an attempt to end their friendship, which was based on alcohol provision, after coming out of rehabilitation.

However, Miss Wolfenden and Truscott remained in contact.

Leading up to the incident, Truscott began sending more frequent messages and calling her number, which Miss Wolfenden began to ignore, until she told the defendant on January 21 that she was meeting someone else.

Explaining Truscott's immediate reaction, the prosecutor said: "His response was a complete lie. He was as interested as anyone could possibly be to what was happening.

"He said 'I'm not interested, this is goodbye Emma'."

Following this, Truscott attempted to make contact several times by ringing and texting her. On one of the occasions Miss Wolfenden's Tinder date answered the phone and told Truscott not to come round but Truscott didn't respond.

Truscott then cycled from his home in Langham to Bullfinch Close carrying a knife with him.

The court heard that when he got there, Truscott held the knife to the man's neck and when he tried to grab the knife, the man's hand was injured.

A fight took place between Truscott and the other man, who eventually hit Truscott over the head with a bottle of rum, while Miss Wolfenden called 999.

After the fighting stopped, Truscott gave the man a towel to stop his hand bleeding.

He then went back to the kitchen and holding Miss Wolfenden with a sharp weapon against her neck, the court was told.

Believing that he was causing the aggravation, the man snorted a line of cocaine, before leaving Miss Wolfenden, who had also been drinking, and Truscott in the house alone.

The witness said: "Every time I moved to get close, he seemed to be more aggressive and I thought I was just making it worse trying to intervene.

"I thought at that point he was going to kill her if I didn't back off."

Truscott's defence lawyer suggested that the man started the fight, not Truscott.

"You struck Mr Truscott and unfortunately your hand got injured in doing so," said the lawyer.

Truscott used a kitchen knife to stab Miss Wolfenden, before calling the emergency services admitting he had 'done it'.

Since the incident he has accepted the charges of having an offensive weapon and unlawful wounding but has denied attempting to murder and the intention to cause serious harm.

In written evidence Miss Wolfenden, who was 36 at the time, described the attack.

"I can't remember what he was saying but he was moving the knife at me," she said.

"I wish I had run but I didn't because I had known him for so long and I didn't think he was going to stab me.

"I remember putting my knees up to protect myself and I was kicking at him trying to stop him but he just kept stabbing me wherever he could."

Miss Wolfenden was taken to Nottingham’s Queen’s Medical Centre for treatment, where doctors discovered 10 stab wounds including in her neck and abdomen.

The prosecutor said: "He stabbed her not once, not twice but many times over.

"She was very lucky not to die there and then.

"That's an indication you may think of what he wanted to happen.

"He stabbed her more than once, he wasn't going to stop until it was done."

The 999 call that Miss Wolfenden made to emergency services was played to the court.

The prosecutor said it was clear from that 999 call that Miss Wolfenden was not able to defend herself because she was so drunk.

In the background, her Tinder date could be heard encouraging her to give false information, which Truscott's defence questioned.

The man replied that he was giving false information because he had travelled from Derbyshire when Covid-19 regulations would have prevented him from doing so at the time, and that he was a drug addict who did not want to come into contact with the police.

Miss Wolfenden was left in hospital for three months as a result of her injuries. She died in June due to unrelated circumstances, aged 37.

The trial continues.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More