Young artists shine at Rutland Open Youth Art Exhibition
The work of talented young artists from across Rutland is on display until later this month at the Rutland County Museum.
A private view of the Rutland Open Youth Art Exhibition took place on Friday, January 26, where the winner of the competition was announced.
The event was attended by Rutland Lord Lieutenant Dr Sarah Furness, Rutland High Sheriff Sue Jarron and Oakham mayor Adam Lowe.
The competition, which is organised by Arts for Rutland, is open to young artists between the ages of 11 and 18.
"We had 64 entries of a very high standard," said Arts for Rutland chairman Joy Everitt.
This year's theme was 'Open your eyes, Open to ideas' and invited a range of mediums including painting, drawing, ceramics and sculpture.
The overall winner was Milly Wood for her entry "Fenella".
Unfortunately Milly was unable to attend the event, but Joy said: "Her painting was a portrait of a woman in acrylic with startling colours.
"No matter where you were in the room your eyes couldn't help but be drawn to it."
Milly received acash prize and a cup donated by Jennifer and Timothy Doig whose daughter won the competition in 2016 and 2017.
"We'd like to thank them for their donation as it was nice to be able to hand over something tangible," said Joy.
The exhibition is taking place at Rutland County Museum until February 22 from 10am to 4pm on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
For more information contact the museum on 01572 758440 or email email@example.com.
The full list of winners is:
- Milly Wood “Fenella”
Arts for Rutland
- 11-13: Katie King – mixed media
- 14-16: Freya James “Portrature with Contour Lines”
- 17-18: Harry Bonar-Law “A History of Surveilance”
Rutland Arts Society
- 11-13: Mara Bradbury-Harrold “Deers in Your Eyes”
- 14-16: Shannon Bourne “Open Your Eyes”
- 17-18: Ted Brown “Departing Soul”
Oakham Arts Society
- 11-13: Jasmine Townsend “Wonder”
- 14-16: Jasmine Sentance “Abstraction”
- 17-18: Anna Horwich – untitled
- Mara Bradbury-Harrold “Peacock Blue”
- Polina Lobodina “Georgie & Cav”
- Archie Burrows “Behind the Uniform”
- Tobias Coulson “Tom Hanks”
- Lily Watkins “When you Don’t Use Your Eyes You Must Trust Your Ears”
- Daisy Troth “Reactions”
- Georgia Forgrave “Control Tower in the Buffer Zone Cyprus”
- Oliver Appleton “Dream Creature”
More by this authorAndrew Stone