Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Bourne Cricket Club defeat Sleaford in the Lincolnshire Premier League

Bourne made it back-to-back wins in the Lincolnshire Premier League with a solid 85-run success over Sleaford at the Abbey Lawn on Saturday.

New signing Ben Wright top-scored with 68 while Pete Morgan hit a second successive half-century as the duo produced a ton partnership to help Bourne post a challenging 256-8 after batting first.

They then dismissed Sleaford for 171 in reply as Jack Berry claimed an impressive four-wicket haul.

Both sides had gone into the contest on the back of impressive opening day victories.

Bourne had convincingly defeated neighbours Market Deeping while Sleaford had claimed the top scalp of perennial champions Bracebridge Heath.

Berry and Jordan Temple got Bourne off to a solid start as they put on 44 runs for the first wicket until the former fell for 24.

Sam Evison added a quick-fire 21 off 24 balls before Sleaford snared three home wickets in quick succession.

Evison was caught by Matthew Wing off the bowling of Joe Peck while Temple was out for 26 in similar fashion as Thomas Shorthouse held onto a delivery from Drew Harbron.

Peck then had home skipper Courtney Kruger caught by Aayush Patel for one which left Bourne reeling on 80-4.

However, Morgan came to the crease to join Wright and their 100-run partnership put Bourne back in control of the contest.

Morgan hit five fours and two sixes in his 54 before being trapped leg before by Scott Tite.

Wright and Rob Dunn added a further 35 runs for the sixth wicket until Sleaford again grabbed a couple of quick-fire home wickets.

Dunn was bowled by Cameron Hall with the score on 215 and four runs later Wright's stumps were sent flying by Harbron after an innings of 68 that featured eight fours and a six.

Tom Dixon and Jamie Coles then rallied again for the hosts with a rapid 34-run partnership for the eighth wicket.

Dixon was dismissed for 24 from only 15 deliveries while Coles remained unbeaten at the close on 16 off just 10 balls.

Peck picked up 3-72 from nine overs for Sleaford who had soon lost their first wicket in reply when Shaan Patel was caught by Berry off the bowling of Colin Cheer for eight.

Berry then had Shorthouse stumped by Morgan for 14 while Wright weighed in with the vital wicket of Aayush Patel following an Evison catch after the opener had made 34 which left Sleaford stumbling on 58-3.

Thomas Willoughby and Andy Hibberd offered stubborn resistance with a 43-run stand for the fourth wicket until Berry struck again courtesy of a Dunn catch.

Berry then had Oliver Burford caught behind by wicket-keeper Morgan third ball before he bowled Wing for three as Sleaford slumped to 106-6.

Hibberd was to next fall following a Wright catch off Cheer's bowling for 29 before two quick wickets put Bourne on the brink of victory.

Cameron Hall was caught by Coles off Matthew Kidd for 26 and then Dixon bowled Tite second ball to leave Sleaford on 146-9.

However, the final pairing of Harbron and Peck remained defiant by adding 25 runs for the last wicket until the former was caught by captain Kruger off Wright to ensure Bourne's winning start to the season continued.

Berry finished his 10 overs with 4-26 while Cheer claimed 2-43 and Wright 2-23 for Bourne who now visit a Boston side this weekend who have yet to win either of their opening two games.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More