Home   Sport   Article

Baston earn dramatic 5-5 draw with late Pick strike

Baston in action against Long Sutton Athletic in the PDFL Division One. Photo: John Evely EMN-141027-090715001
Baston in action against Long Sutton Athletic in the PDFL Division One. Photo: John Evely EMN-141027-090715001

Baston had gone a month without winning and the dip in form was evident from the start but hat-trick hero Dan Pick helped the Goats to a 5-5 draw against Wisbech Town Reserves.

Manager Clarke sort for a reaction by changing things around, and welcomed back Stewart, Flood and Reynolds to the starting XI following lengthy absences. Unfortunately the changes appeared to draw the opposite effect, Baston all at sea and 2-0 down inside five minutes. It could have been more but for some fine keeping and wayward shooting keeping Baston in the game.

Finally Baston started to get a foothold in the game and Dan Pick scored his first of three for the day. It was then Pick’s square ball which found Younghusband in the box who was upended and the resultant penalty dispatched by Troy Waters to bring the scoreline level.

The penalty on 35 minutes saw Wisbech down to 10 men, albeit you wouldn’t have known it based on the display. With only 10 minutes until half time Baston got caught twice in a matter of minutes again. The first a hopeful long ball which left the Wisbech front man in acres of space to slide beyond Liam Davies in the Baston goal. The second some quite sublime skill and trickery from the Wisbech winger turning the Baston defence inside out to send the 10 men 4-2 up at the break.

Baston dominated the second half and got back into the game at 4-3 through another Dan Pick finish.

Baston drew level again when Waters converted a second spot kick of the game on 78 minutes. At 4-4 Baston felt there would only be one winner. But they went to sleep again and Wisbech hit back once more to go 5-4 ahead with minutes left. There was just time for a final throw of the dice from Baston and Pick once again obliged to for the third time to bring Baston level.

The referee blew for full time in a game of 10 goals, one sending off and two penalities

Clarke said: “The second half performance was much better and we felt overall we probably just did enough to deserve a point. Credit must go to Wisbech for their display with 10 men, they worked hard and battled for each other. Something we could certainly learn from them”

Meanwhile Baston Reserves continued their good form which sees them having not lost in the league since the opening day. They defeated Ramey 4-3 having been 4-0 up with 20 minutes to go.

Goals came from Tim Palmer, who score twice, Steve Bratcher and Mike Hasler.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More