Home   Sport   Article

Baston win seven goal thriller to treat the large travelling crowd

By Rob Byrne

Action from Netherton Reserves v Baston FC at the Grange EMN-150321-173115009
Action from Netherton Reserves v Baston FC at the Grange EMN-150321-173115009

The 321 people who watched Baston beat Oundle Town in a seven-goal thriller on Sunday were treated to a footballing feast.

With a crowd once again swelled massively by the arrival of hundreds of Groundhoppers Baston claimed an opening day win in the PDFL Premier Division despite missing several key players.

Hosts Oundle took the lead after referee Shaun Gray awarded a penalty for a hand ball against Dan Bratcher.

Jonathan Sturgeon hit his effort cleanly from the spot, beating Matt Medler between the sticks despite him going the right way.

However Baston grew into the game and Scott Spearink, who played for UCL Division One outfit Bourne Town last season, missed after getting one-on-one with Oundle stopper Mark King, who the saved a header from Michael Almen.

Spearink was the man to get Baston on the scoreboard, finishing from close range.

However any thoughts of going in level were dashed when Conor Murray took advantage of some slack defending to get behind the defence from a throw-in and put the ball pass Medler.

After the break Baston wasted no time in getting back on level terms, with Dan Pick capitalising on a mix-up in the Town defence.

Not long after Troy Waters scored the first of a brace of goals to give his side the lead. Some neat inter-passing with Pick opened up the defence and the striker found the back of the net.

Towards the end of the match Baston were beginning to struggle with the pace of the match in their first competitive outing of the season and with Oundle taking advantage of their superior bench, it came as no surprise when Chris Kaye brought the scores back to level at 3-3 and only an excellent save from Medler prevented Town from taking the lead.

Despite some tired legs Baston’s attacking trio up front of Pick, Spearink and Waters went close to regaining the lead. With two minutes remaining Waters was brought down in the box and he got up to score from the spot to seal all three points.

Oundle: Mark King, Dylan Warrener, Neil White, Joe Costello, Sam Pendred, Charlie Garrard, Elliott Rowe, John Sturgeon, Jonny Hipwell, Martin Thorpe, Conor Murphy. Subs: Luke Keane, Ben Lockley, Donal Horan, Chris Kaye, Jamie Oliver (all used).

Baston: Matt Medlar, Dan Twaite, Dan Flood, Michael Almen, Jacob Parkin, Ciaran Reynolds, Greg Rawlinson, Dan Bratcher, Danny Pick, Scott Spearink, Troy Waters. Subs: Craig Bullivant (used), Wayne Hobbs, Darren Wesley (not used)


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More