Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Benn Tilley is victorious in two classes at the Historic Sports Car Clubs Classic Formula 3 event at Oulton Park

Bourne’s Benn Tilley produced his best-ever performance to claim a victory double in the Oulton Park Gold Cup.

Tilley triumphed in both races in the Historic Sports Car Clubs Classic Formula 3 class to follow in the footsteps of some racing greats.

The event has been won in past years by both Sir Stirling Moss and John Surtees and Tilley was thrilled with his displays.

Benn Tilley was victorious at Oulton Park.
Benn Tilley was victorious at Oulton Park.

He said: “Personally I think it’s the best I’ve ever driven to date and was ecstatic when crossing the line. I took part in the ex-Brian Henton and Rupert Keegan March 743 which is owned by top historic driver, top preparer and restorer Simon Hadfield.

“The car has achieved five podiums at Oulton Park in its period so it was very special to add two more to that total.

“Pole position and two wins made it the perfect weekend because it is not quite as easy as it sounds.

“I’d just like to say a huge thank you to everyone that makes it possible for me to race. It’s very much appreciated.”

Tilley qualified for the first race in pole position and, despite being passed early on, a mechanical fault for the leader saw him regain the advantage which held until the finish line.

Tilley again dropped to second spot in the next outing, but mounted a ferocious comeback to secure a memorable victory double.

He added: “Oulton Park is one of the most challenging circuits in the country and, with the car still being fairly new to me, I knew I was going to have to give my all to get some strong results.

“With no testing prior to the event, I was very nervous going into qualifying but managed to get a good lap together and qualify on pole position.

“Race one was going to be tough with a very strong driver starting in position two. He got past me at the start and I tried to stay with him until he pulled off with a mechanical fault which then gifted me the lead.

“With a clear track ahead of me and my mirrors full of the Ralt RT3 behind, I had to soak up the pressure and stay consistent for the win.

“I managed to keep putting in some good consistent lap times and resisted the pressure of the car behind to take the win.

“Race two got off to a decent start after dropping to second place. The Ralt RT3 was fast starting and pulled out a gap on me but I wasn’t going to let him get away.

“I drove the absolute wheels off the car to eventually catch up to the leader and, after a lap or two gauging where I was faster and he was faster, I went for the move around the outside of the Shell Oils hairpin.

“We exited the corner side-by-side and kept that position going into the next corner.

“I squeezed through only by a few inches and managed to start creating a gap straight away by putting in consistently fast lap times.

“Albeit it was not a very large gap but I was determined to cross the line first.

“Once again I had to soak up the pressure from the car behind and finished the race in first 0.8 of a second ahead of the second-place man.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More