Home   Sport   Article

Cottesmore are beaten by Clay Cross Town in FA Vase clash

Cottesmore manager Rich Giblin was proud of his side's achievements as their FA Vase adventure ended on Saturday.

The Rutland side's history-making run was finally curtailed after a 3-1 defeat at Clay Cross Town in the first round proper clash.

It marked the end of a memorable run for Cottesmore who, in their first-ever season in the prestigious national competition, had already claimed two higher scalps.

Jordan Smith scored Cottesmore's goal. (19299362)
Jordan Smith scored Cottesmore's goal. (19299362)

Giblin said: "I can't complain about the final score on Saturday.

"We didn't play as well as we could have done, but we certainly didn't embarrass ourselves and we were still in the game until the very last minute when they scored their third goal.

"Clay Cross were a very good side and didn't have a weak link anywhere across the park, but I am very proud of what the boys have achieved.

"It's been a brilliant journey. We turned up at Radford a couple of months ago ready to just enjoy the day out so to get three games in the FA Vase has been great for the club.

"We had lots of good luck messages before the game on Saturday which was really appreciated. It showed we had the backing of the community behind us and I can't thank those enough who travelled to support us on Saturday."

Cottesmore were backed by more than 75 supporters who made the trip to Chesterfield for the clash which attracted a crowd of 220.

A nervy start saw Cottesmore, who were playing up a slight slope in the opening period, fall behind after 12 minutes when the impressive Josh Scully gave their Central Midlands League South Division hosts the lead.

Jordan Smith flashed a header just wide for Cottesmore's best chance of the first period and, after failing to hit their peak form, they were pleased to go in at half-time just a goal adrift.

They had lost Eathan Milne to injury in the opening 15 minutes of the contest while top scorer Tom Pope was superbly shackled by the Clay Cross defence.

Colton Cropper. (19299377)
Colton Cropper. (19299377)

Both sides went toe-to-toe with each other after the break and Cottesmore's best spell was rewarded with an equaliser.

Adam Lomas beat his man and whipped in a cross which Smith smashed home off the underside of the crossbar.

Cottesmore then looked to grab the all-important second goal, but were instead undone by a short corner setpiece.

They had failed to react to the first corner and then Clay Cross repeated the feat with Scully receiving the ball and curling a superb shot into the top corner of the Cottesmore net.

The Rutland side pushed for a second equaliser with Jake Robson going close before Colton Cropper burst into a promising position only to slice his shot past the post.

With goalkeeper Jonny Hotson joining the Cottesmore attack in the latter stages, Clay Cross broke and with virtually the last kick of the game Grant Mitchell secured a second round tie for the hosts with Sherwood Colliery next month.

Cottesmore are back in Leicestershire Senior League Premier Division action on Saturday when they host Sileby Town.

They then travel to United Counties League Division One side St Andrews on Tuesday, October 22, for a second round clash in the Leicestershire Senior Cup.

Read more

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More