Home   Sport   Article

Bourne beaten on penalties after pulsating cup clash

Gavin Cooke scored Bourne's first goal and was also on target in the shoot-out.
Gavin Cooke scored Bourne's first goal and was also on target in the shoot-out.

The Wakes went out of the Hinchingbrooke Cup on Tuesday night after a penalty shoot-out defeat to higher level Ely City following a pulsating clash at the Abbey Lawn.

Their Thurlow Nunn Premier Division visitors scored all five of their spot kicks in the shoot-out after Jezz Goldson-Williams had seen Bourne’s first penalty saved.

Joint bosses Jimmy McDonnell and Phil Gadsby were upbeat about their side’s performance after the Wakes recovered from going two goals down inside the opening 20 minutes to race into a 4-2 lead before being pegged back by the Robins.

Gadsby said: “The focus was on our league game this Saturday so we told the lads to go out and enjoy it, but we’re now a bit frustrated and disappointed that we didn’t get through.

“The four goals we conceded were all avoidable – they were silly mistakes which resulted in sloppy goals.

“We should have dug in for 15 minutes or so when we went 4-2 up, but we’ve conceded almost straight away.

“We had gone two games without scoring though so it was important to get back on the scoresheet again.

“It was a decent performance for me because midweek matches are not always easy when lads have had manual jobs all day and then have to come and play football.”

McDonnell added: “It gave us the chance to work on a few things. We just needed to make a bit better decisions and give more communication.

“They are a top side and we were not a million miles off them. We tried a new formation out and Jordan Avis, Jezz Goldson-Williams and Adam Rothery were all top drawer.

“They are a higher level side than us, but some of the football we played was superb with some really good individual performances.

“Gavin Cooke has got 90 minutes in and put in a really good shift while Jezz has got back on the scoresheet again

“We’ve told him that it’s not just about scoring. It’s his work-rate and what he brings to the team as well, but he just loves scoring goals so we’re pleased they’re going in for him again.

“A lot of teams would have crumbled after going 2-0 down early on, but we dug in and it was a decent performance.”

Bourne fell behind after 15 minutes when James Seymour headed home a corner and, shortly after Luke Mansfield had gone close, Ely doubled their lead through Deakin Napier’s swirling effort.

The Wakes responded though and Gavin Cooke converted a corner from close range before Adam Rothery got Bourne back on level terms.

Rothery, who had been denied twice in quick succession by smart saves from Ely keeper Harry Reynolds, connected sweetly with a cross to drill home a fine strike.

Bourne then took the lead on the stroke of half-time when a neat Jordan Avis lay off teed up Max Cooper to burst into the box and beat Reynolds with a low strike.

A cracking comeback was improved further shortly after the break as Rothery was fouled in the box and Goldson-Williams converted the resultant spot kick.

However, Bourne’s two-goal lead didn’t last long as the Robins responded immediately and Ryan Williams headed home their third before Luke Mansfield prodded in an equaliser to take the match into a penalty shoot-out.

Goldson-Williams saw the first penalty saved by Reynolds and Ely then proceeded to convert all five of their spot kicks. Jacob Smitheringale, Cooke, Cooper and Jack Bottreill were all successful for Bourne, but their valiant effort fell just short.

Bourne: Brown, Elger, Cooper, Salt (Smitheringale), Cooke, A Moss (Cardall), Avis (B Moss), Bottreill, Goldson-Williams, Rothery, Dunn. Not used: Troth, Horsfall.

Dan Flood, Eddie McDonald, Richard Nelson, James Zealand and Jack Corby will all return to the Wakes squad for Saturday’s trip to S&L Corby who have lost all their 18 league games so far this season.

McDonnell commented: “With all due to respect to the opposition, Saturday is a game we want to be winning and getting us into a position in the table where I think we deserve to be.”

Max Avory has re-signed after returning to the club following a spell out while he went travelling.

Centre-half Jack Salt, who was with Gadsby at Blackstones, has played in the last two games following the career-ending injury to Aaron Jesson last week.

n The Wakes have arranged their Lincolnshire Senior Trophy semi-final with Holbeach United for Tuesday, December 5, at the Abbey Lawn.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More