Home   Sport   Article

Bourne impress away from home but come up just short at tough Sileby

Brackley flanker Justin Waltman charges for the line against Bourne NNL-140112-113833002
Brackley flanker Justin Waltman charges for the line against Bourne NNL-140112-113833002

Bourne were impressive again away from home but came up just short at newly promoted Sileby Vikings, losing 12-6 in the Midlands Four East South clash.

The newly promoted Vikings have put good points past a number of teams in the league this season and with Bourne travelling with a bare minimum of 17 another tough afternoon was on the cards.

It was Bourne who kicked off and a good chase from the Lindley, Bonham and Forbes put immediate pressure on the opposition to win a scrum where Bourne duly got the nudge on the opposition and Thornburn let his backs have a run, Dixon passed to Harby who went into contact and was turned over and Sileby kicked the ball clear.

That was very much the pattern of the game in the first 15 minutes Sileby kicking and Bourne running the ball back, with both fullback Berry and wings Haigh and Dixon fielding the ball from kicks and returning with interest.

Bourne lost Ant Cooke after 20 minutes to an ankle injury whilst pressing for the Sileby try line which meant a few changes were necessary, Hume went into the second Row with Bonham and young colt Patty Danielewski came on in the back row.

Bourne won the scrum and fed the backs, Binns got held up but in their frustration Sileby came round offside resulting in a penalty which Binns converted 0-3. If Sileby did venture into Bourne’s half it seemed to be only from kicks ahead and Berry was fielding everything at fullback.

The forwards were giving good support and holding onto the ball and it was not long before another penalty was awarded but was missed on this occasion.

Bourne were making good use of the possession moving the ball across the pitch to the wings, Thornburn was making breaks on his own when able with good support from Forbes at number eight.

Sleight and Wood were choosing when to commit to the breakdown with good effect , which was keeping the ball moving and eventually lead to another penalty which Binns did convert for 0-6.

Lindley was taking his own ball from the lineout with some precise throwing from Xanti, which produced quick ball for Thornburn to move play over the gain line, Dixon took the pass at fly half and kicked cross field for veteran winger Andy Dixon to chase, he gathered the ball admirably and burst down his wing only to be bundled into touch in the Sileby 22.

Bourne were always pressurising the Sileby lineout and Danielewski was quick up to charge down a kick for touch from one after Bonham had pressured through the line. Xanti dived on the loose ball to give Bourne more possession deep in Sileby territory. Sleight made one of his now trademark charges from deep, but could not quite make the line.

The half came to an end with the score at 0-6; with the possession Bourne had enjoyed it should have been more, but credit must be given to the Sileby defence.

Bourne started the second half with a lapse in their concentration, Sileby chose to kick long and Berry made a positive shout to collect the ball, unfortunately Sileby were up quick and put pressure on the Bourne back leading to a penalty being awarded 10 metres out. The Sileby scrum half took this quick and with a diagonal run scored under the posts, which was converted for 7-6.

Bourne then lost Forbes after an enthusiastic late tackle on the opposition fly half saw him receive yellow; he took the Sileby prop with him who chose to get involved with matters when it was not really necessary, so both teams were down to 14 men. Sileby used this opportunity to bring fresh legs on in the scrum and Bourne were beginning to tire, this showed when a scrum five metre out was pushed over for a further Sileby try, unconverted for 12-6.

Bourne pushed for a try and Wood found himself on the end of a pop pass from Thornburn and he bundled his way through four tackles before offloading to Bonham, but he was forced into touch with Bourne were only five metres out.

Sleight had now taken up throwing duties and the ‘secret call’ was made, Wood did not knock on this time and collected the ball and threw himself across the line, rolling with joy with a large war cry thinking he had scored. Unfortunately the referee disallowed the try and gave Sileby a free kick with which they cleared their lines.

Despite every effort Bourne could not score and the final score was 12-6 to Sileby earning Bourne a losing bonus point. Man of the match was Patty Danielewski.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More