Bourne youngsters bounce back for a thrilling tie

Want your club featured in the paper and online? Call our sportsdesk on 01780 750448 or e-mail
Want your club featured in the paper and online? Call our sportsdesk on 01780 750448 or e-mail
Share this article
Have your say

Bourne Cricket Club’s U11 Spitfires bounced back from a defeat against Oakham with a strong performance against Orton Park.

The Spitfires first faced a strong unbeaten Oakham A side who were too strong for a much younger and inexperienced Bourne side .

Oakham ran out comfortable 117 run victors but despite the heavy defeat the Spitfires can take great credit for their efforts.

George Warrington, Dylan Taylor and Henry Brewster kept their wickets intact against a threatening attack and Taylor, Ollie Henson and William Russell struck excellent boundaries - Russell on three occasions.

Batting first, Bourne totalled just 49 runs for the loss of 7 wickets providing a net target of 114.

Oakham’s opener Angus Watkin batted powerfully and substantially exceeded the target single-handed. Yet the spirit and enthusiasm in the field was exemplary and never waned.

George Warrington, William Russell and Will Chandler earned wickets and Ralph Taylor bowled two straight and steady overs.

Alfie Bennett took a heavy blow attempting a return catch and Henry Brewster took a knock preventing a boundary but both returned to the fray after treatment.

For Oakham Oli Drakard, Joe Rumble and Freddie Scott each took two wickets and George Davies hit five boundaries in a total of 146 for 3.

Bourne Spitfires: Alfie Bennett, Henry Brewster, Will Chandler, Ollie Henson, William Russell, Dylan Taylor, Ralph Taylor, George Warrington.

Bourne then tied their match with Orton Park, which ended with a nail-biting finish with the scores level on 179.

Bourne chose to field first and the first Orton pair found runs hard to come by in the face of steady bowling from Alfie Bennett, George Warrington, who took a wicket, Alfie Richardson and Ollie Buckley.

Subsequent pairs were more productive but Alfie Buik’s leg breaks produced a vital wicket.

At the close of the innings Buik, Ollie Henson and Ralph Taylor had conceded just 7 runs from their 3 overs. Park were limited to 89 but they had lost only two wickets to set a challenging target.

Henson was accompanied by George Warrington to open for Bourne and after losing an early wicket they totalled 26 runs from their 4 overs.

Although Alfie Bennett and Ralph Taylor did not lose any wickets the run rate fell and when the third pair lost a couple of wickets Alfie Buik and Dylan Taylor were left needing a daunting 31 runs for victory.

Despite Buik’s early wicket they batted aggressively so that Taylor’s boundary off the second ball of the last over put them ahead.

He struck the next ball powerfully but it was magnificently held one-handed by the bowler and Bourne were behind once again.

Buik faced the next ball and worked the ball away for a single. No-one was entirely sure of the balance of play but Taylor dove into the covers and came back for a second run that proved a match saver.

Bourne: Alfie Bennett, Ollie Buckley, Alfie Buik, Ollie Henson, Alfie Richardson, Dylan Taylor, Ralph Taylor, George Warrington.