Home   Sport   Article

Deeping Rangers defeat Bedford Town in FA Cup preliminary round clash

Deeping Rangers manager Michael Goode made a winning return to former club Bedford Town as the Clarets caused an upset in Saturday's FA Cup preliminary round tie.

The Clarets claimed a 1-0 victory over their higher level Southern League Division One Central hosts thanks for Jordan Macleod's second half strike.

The match, played in sweltering conditions, marked Goode's return to the club he signed for as an 18-year-old while a university student in the town.

Michael Goode. (15693746)
Michael Goode. (15693746)

Both sides struggled to assert their authority on proceedings in the early exchanges.

Scott Mooney fired wide for the visitors from a Jordan Macleod flick while David Burton-Jones powered a header past the post.

Connor Tomlinson and Dan Walker both saw shots from distance blocked for the hosts who came closest the scoring just before the half-hour mark.

Clarets goalkeeper Lewis Elsom scuffed his clearance into the path of Tre Mitford who, after working himself space around a cluster of Deeping defenders, smashed his shot against the crossbar from outside the box.

Tomlinson was first to the follow up but his effort was well blocked by Deeping full-back Dan Flack.

Ebby Nelson-Abby then curled a shot for the Eagles before Jordan Macleod intercepted a poor pass from Bedford full-back Cade Stephens-Abbey, but his low shot was gathered by Aaron Dillon in the home goal.

Mitford then sent in a low effort which was gathered at the second attempt by Elsom to ensure the opening period finished goalless.

Deeping began the second half brightly with Mooney finding himself with space in front of goal, but Dillon saved well with his legs.

The Bedford goalkeeper then turned away a Dan Jarvis snap-shot which prompted an Eagles response.

Tomlinson fired high and wide after working an opening before the home frontman was denied by a fine stop from Elsom after Nathan Olukamni's cross had been turned goalwards.

The game started to open up as the heat took its toll on both sets of players with Tomlinson sending another effort wide at the back post for the hosts.

Jordan Macleod (15693748)
Jordan Macleod (15693748)

And it was Deeping who took advantage of the space to take a 61st minute lead.

Bedford had seen half-hearted penalty appeals turned down by Ebby Nelson-Abby went down in the box.

The ball was quickly despatched upfield by Rangers and Macleod raced clear before firing home past the advancing Dillon.

Bedford, as expected, piled on the pressure in search of an equaliser with Mitford flashing a header wide.

The Eagles striker then had a free header at goal from a corner, but his downward effort bounced over the bar.

Eagles substitute Manny Soetan then sent another good headed chance over from a Walker cross as Rangers held out for giantkilling won.

Bedford: Dillon, Stephens-Abbey, Hall, Ford, Hoyte, Green, Olukamni (Donnelly), Nelson-Addy (Soetan), Mitford, Tomlinson (Eze), Walker. Subs not used: Joseph, Ubah, Soetan, Phillips, Goodman.

Deeping: Elsom, Flack, Andersen, Burton-Jones, Hunnings, Davies, Coulson, Jarvis, Mooney, Macleod (Adams), Banister. Sub not used: Carter.

Attendance: 207.

Read more

More by this author

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More