Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Cottesmore AFC defeat Desford in the Leicestershire Senior League Premier Division

More news, no ads


Cottesmore answered manager Rich Giblin's battle cry with a return to winning ways on Saturday.

Eddie McDonald's early goal ensured the Rutland side bounced back from successive defeats with a 1-0 home victory over Desford at Westray Park.

It was a gritty display from Cottesmore against an impressive visiting side in the first meeting of the season between the two teams.

Eddie McDonald. Photo: Rob O'Brien
Eddie McDonald. Photo: Rob O'Brien

Giblin said: "We didn't play fantastically but did enough to get ourselves over the line against a very good Desford side.

"We played well in the first half but we weren't so polished after the break and probably died off quicker than they did.

"We were toiling at times but it was one of those battling performances which you need to produce so all credit to the lads.

"After the last two weeks, all I asked for was battle and commitment and to give everything they had in their tanks.

"We did well and there were some really good performances. Darren Wilke was superb and Eathan Milne was also very good."

Cottesmore started well and put together the best move of the game to break the deadlock after just three minutes.

Shaun Denigan and Luke Smith worked the ball out of defence to find Danny Seals who in turn fed frontman Mark Tinsley.

Tinsley's lay off found Morgan Heppleston whose sublime crossfield pass picked out Eathan Milne and his first-time effort looked to have lobbed the visiting goalkeeper.

Although the ball bounced back off the crossbar, McDonald had ran virtually the length of the pitch to support the attack and was rewarded for his efforts as he tapped home the follow-up.

Cottesmore continued to play well as they looked to double their advantage and Tinsley turned another Heppleston cross just over the bar.

Desford did go close to equalising with a well-struck shot which rattled the crossbar but Cottesmore managed to hold onto their lead until half-time.

The visitors again struck the upright in the second period and fired another effort just wide before a brave block from substitute Baris Topaloglu kept Desford at bay in the final exchanges as Cottesmore closed out the contest for a victory.

Cottesmore: Brown, Denigan, Ridout, Wilke, Smith, Seals, Heppleston (Maxwell), Milne (Topaloglu), McDonald, Tinsley, Stannard.

They are back in action again tonight (Wednesday) when they travel to face Ashby Ivanhoe Knights.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More