Cricket: Good wins for Stamford Town

Have your say

Stamford Town’s two South Lincs and Border League teams continued their progress up their respective league tables, with good wins against Lindum 2nds and Thomas Cook, on Saturday.

Town 1sts sneaked home, following an excellent bowling and fielding performance, after only posting 125 for nine with Dave Piggott easily top scoring with 44.

The only other batsmen to reach double figures were Brett Bennett (13) and Andy White (14 not out).

In reply the home side then slipped to 116 all out, as all of Town’s bowlers kept it very tight, backed up by some fine catching and ground fielding.

Neil Williams picked up three wickets, with the medium pacers Bill Hall, Andy White and Richard Crossley each taking two. Batting hero Piggott closed proceedings with the final wicket in a close game.

Town 2nds were struggling at 13 for three at home to Thomas Cook, but managed to rebuild the innings with several partnerships all involving Phil Holland batting at six, first with Andy Flynn (23), Chris Birch (20), and then most importantly with teenager Scott Chamberlain (29).

The latter produced his finest innings for Town to date, driving the ball immaculately, complementing Holland brilliantly who hit 11 fours and two sixes, in his game-breaking unbeaten 90. Town were eventually 221 for nine.

This proved too much for the opposition, especially when Holland got to work with the ball too, with three for 18 and taking a sharp catch too, breaking the backbone of the visitor’s batting.

Youngsters Joe Morley and Ben Peck each picked up two wickets to set up the victory by 77 runs, sealed with a brace from Jason MacBeath thanks to his wily slow-bowling.

Both Rutland League sides fell to disappointing defeats, especially in Division One, losing at home to Bourne.

Town lost by four wickets with just two balls to go. Simon Lem (62 not out) and Brett Bennett (58) had rescued the homeside from a desperate situation, as Xanti Xipu took four wickets, to a quite encouraging 176 for eight at tea.

However knocks of 48 and 49 from Robert Dunn and Carl Wilson put Bourne in the ascendancy, until a flurry of wickets left the match in the balance.

However, a couple of dropped catches handed the visitors a narrow win in the end.

Meanwhile, at Whittlesey, the 2nds never really got going with the bat, apart from the in-form Clive Simmons, who struck a very patient 69, out of a below par 153 for nine.

The heat then took its toll on Stamford’s bowlers with the exception of the impressive James Ferrow (two for 44) whose first, very quick spell had helped reduce Whittlesey to 60 for four at one stage.

The homeside never had too many problems reaching their target in the second half of their innings winning by five wickets with several overs to spare.