Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Stamford AFC awaiting news on what happens next with their Northern Premier League South East Division campaign




Stamford must play the waiting game to find out the future of their Northern Premier League season.

The Daniels were among clubs canvassed for their views on what happens next to the South East Division campaign which has been suspended since the end of October.

Clubs had until Friday of last week to submit their opinions but Mark Harris – chairman of the Northern Premier League – believes it is unlikely that they will discover the outcome until later next month.

Stamford’s last league game was a 2-2 draw at Chasetown in October. Photo: Dan Allen
Stamford’s last league game was a 2-2 draw at Chasetown in October. Photo: Dan Allen

Harris - speaking on the NPL Show - explained: “We are very much in limbo at the moment.

“The deadline for the clubs to respond to the FA survey was last Friday and it will now take a week or so to chase up any stragglers – although why anyone would not respond to such an important survey is beyond me.

“It will then take another week on top of that to really understand and analyse the findings.

“The FA Alliance Committee, of which the Northern Premier League is represented, will then get together before a decision is made.”

A statement released by the Football Association this week said that 99.1 per cent of clubs at steps three and four had submitted their views with a 95.8 per cent response from those at steps five and six.

It said: “The FA would like to thanks clubs for submitting their views and the time taken in providing responses at what we appreciate is an incredibly challenging time for everyone.

“The FA’s Alliance and Leagues Committees now have a large amount of data and information to consider before determining a proposed way forward.

“Ultimately any proposal made by the committees will be put to the FA Council for consideration. The FA Council will then make any final decision on a way forward.

“The Alliance and Leagues Committees recognise the desire for clubs to be updated while these issues are being carefully considered.

“Therefore, both committees commit to providing updates to leagues and clubs as the process progresses and remain mindful of the difficulties faced by clubs at
present.”

Stamford’s Northern Premier League campaign is currently suspended until March 6 following the announcement of the third national lockdown.

However, the Trident Leagues – which incorporates the Northern, Southern and Isthmian leagues – have already announced that it is their view that the season should cease immediately and be declared null and void.

Harris added: “We are dealing with a situation which is changing daily and it is extremely hard to forward plan.

“The league made its recommendation highly reluctantly to clubs to go null and void based on the information available to us at this time.

“We don’t know when lockdown is going to be lifted and, when it is, we don’t know what it will be replaced by.

“It’s perfectly possible that we could go back into the tier system which might mean football can’t be played in front of fans anyway.

“We just don’t know so the most important thing is that the voices of clubs are being heard.

“We will continue to keep the March 6 date for the time being because that is probably the earliest we could consider as nobody actually wants to terminate a season if it can be avoided.

“There is no rush to come to a conclusion on this and we will always try and give our clubs as much certainty as possible but without forcing ourselves into a corner.”

Stamford have played just seven of their scheduled 38 league games so far this season with their last South East Division outing being a 2-2 draw at Chasetown on Saturday, October 24.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More