Home   Sport   Article

Stamford AFC are emphatic derby winners against Spalding United

A super second half showing fired Stamford to a 5-1 derby victory over Spalding United on Saturday as they recorded their seventh successive league win.

The Daniels had been frustrated by their out-of-form visitors in the first half of the BetVictor Northern Premier League South East Division clash which was watched by a bumper crowd of 513 at the Zeeco Stadium.

Tobias Liversedge had given the Tulips a lead which was cancelled out before half-time by Tom Siddons' leveller after a disjointed performance by the Daniels in the opening period.

Tom Siddons fires Stamford ahead. Photo: Alan Walters (31568665)
Tom Siddons fires Stamford ahead. Photo: Alan Walters (31568665)

But Stamford responded by turning on the style in the second half as Siddons put them ahead after the break before goals from Harry Vince and a Tendai Chitiza brace kept Stamford's promotion bandwagon rolling on.

Stamford had began with an unchanged starting line-up from Tuesday night's home victory over Sutton Coldfield and looked to pick up where they left off.

They piled on the pressure in the early exchanges with Siddons having a shot deflected wide off James Hugo after Cosmos Matwasa had flicked on Sean Wright's raking pass.

Former Cottesmore defender Ben Richards then rescued Spalding on a couple of occasions as the Tulips continued to defend well under the early onslaught.

Richards made a crucial interception from Ollie Brown-Hill's dangerous cross after Mike Armstrong's quickly-taken free-kick before making a crucial challenge to deny Chitiza in the box.

Rob Morgan fired another shot narrowly over before Spalding took the lead against the run of play.

Congratulations for Tom Siddons. Photo: Alan Walters (31568672)
Congratulations for Tom Siddons. Photo: Alan Walters (31568672)

Jack Smith flicked on a free-kick for the unmarked Liversedge to fire past Dan Haystead.

The lead lasted just nine minutes though as good play by Matwasa created space for Chitiza whose shot was deflected into the path of Siddons and Stamford's top scorer made no mistake with a strong finish into the roof of the net.

Stamford continued to look to add to their tally, but it was Spalding who came closest to regaining the lead.

The usually steady Stamford defensive line failed to deal with a routine ball forward and Smith headed past the advancing Haystead only for Jordon Cooke to make a superb covering clearance off the line.

Siddons curled another effort narrowly over on the stroke of half-time as Spalding continued to defy the Daniels.

That sparked a half-time change by Daniels boss Graham Drury with the fit-again James Hicks replacing Brown-Hill.

Harry Vince makes it 3-1. Photo: Alan Walters (31568676)
Harry Vince makes it 3-1. Photo: Alan Walters (31568676)

Spalding had the first attempt of the second half with George Couzens hitting a decent strike which was turned away by Haystead while Michael Duggan in the Spalding goal did well at the other end to deny Chitiza after a strong run and shot.

Duggan though was powerless to prevent Stamford taking the lead after 54 minutes.

Cooke's cross to back post picked out Siddons who had time to take the ball under his spell before unleashing a magical finish high into the Spalding net.

Hicks could have increased the lead minutes later when he headed wide when well-placed from a Harry Vince corner.

But a third goal, and the best of the game, did follow just past the hour mark as Vince netted for the fourth successive game.

Hicks' lay off found Morgan whose sublime back-heel found the in-form midfielder who hit home into the bottom corner of the Spalding net.

Tendai Chitiza scores the fourth. Photo: Alan Walters (31568680)
Tendai Chitiza scores the fourth. Photo: Alan Walters (31568680)

It was now all Stamford and a fourth goal came with 20 minutes remaining.

Matwasa burst into the box and lifted his shot over the advancing Duggan and, although his effort hit the post, Chitiza pounced to crack home the rebound.

Stamford continued to create the chances and Siddons should have completed his hat-trick when he lifted his shot over the crossbar at the back post after Chitiza's cross had found him unmarked.

Chitiza did complete the scoring in the last minute when he headed home a Vince corner to take Stamford's goal haul for the season to 74.

The victory keeps them within two points of league leaders Leek Town who were 2-0 away winners at Lincoln United on Saturday.

Stamford: Haystead, Cooke, Armstrong, Vince, Wright, Blunden, Chitiza, Morgan, Siddons, Brown-Hill (Hicks 46, Taylor 80), Matwasa (Limb 76).Subs not used: Challinor, O'Hare.

Spalding: Duggan, Spencer, Hugo, Floyd, Bucci, Richards, Burrell (Mathmbuko 88) , Everington, J Smith (Brooks 65), Couzens, Liversedge (Ramsden 86). Sub not used: A Smith (GK).

Attendance: 513.


Read more

More by this author

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More