Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Deeping Rangers lose to Melton Town in the United Counties League Premier Division North

More news, no ads


Deeping manager Daniel French admitted his side got what they deserved as they went down to a four-goal away reversal at Melton Town on Saturday.

Two goals in each half sent the Clarets to defeat in the United Counties League Premier Division North match as their indifferent run of form continues.

They haven’t won a league match since the middle of October and Saturday’s reversal saw them drop down to 13th place in the 18-team division.

Ta'i Williams went close in the second half for Deeping. (53542351)
Ta'i Williams went close in the second half for Deeping. (53542351)

French said: “We got out-ran, out-worked and outplayed. Melton played the conditions better than us and we fully got what we deserved.

“We should have tried to grind out the first half with a determination not to concede and then take our chances in the second half to win the game.

“But we haven’t got that aggression or nastiness to do it at the moment. We need someone to take the game by the scruff of the neck and pull us together because we’re not having a good time of it and we need to make it really difficult for the opposition.”

Melton had the strong wind at their backs in the opening period against a Deeping side which included on-loan Spalding defender Bailey Baker in their starting line-up.

They had weathered the opening exchanges despite losing midfielder Charlie Coulson early on to a hamstring injury.

However, Melton broke the deadlock midway through the first half when a clearance fell to home player-boss Tom Manship who shot home from just outside the area.

The lead was then doubled 10 minutes before half-time when Owen Storey cut inside and saw his shot deflected into the far corner of the Deeping net.

Rangers began the second half brightly and had two good chances to get back into the contest with Jones De Sousa first being denied by a fine save from home goalkeeper Billy Harrison before Ta’i Williams fired over when well-placed.

And Melton then made Deeping pay as Paul Anderson beat the offside trap with 20 minutes remaining and clipped his finish over Dan Swan.

The scoring was then completed in the final minute as Tyreace Palmer headed home from close range.

Boss French added: “We had defended alright in the first half until their two goals but didn’t cause them too many problems.

“We started the second half well and 2-0 is a dangerous score so it would have given us a bit of lift if we had taken our chances.

“We could have asked some questions but they rode it out. We then went flat, they got another goal and it was game done.”

Rangers: Swan, Flack, Bloodworth, Burton-Jones, Baker, Carter (Fielding), De Sousa, Coulson (Showler), Bird, Wilson, Williams (Steele).

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More