Home   Sport   Article

Farrow scores hat-trick in Stoneygate rout at home

Want your club featured in the paper and online? Call our sportsdesk on 01780 758962 or e-mail smeditor@stamfordmercury.co.uk
Want your club featured in the paper and online? Call our sportsdesk on 01780 758962 or e-mail smeditor@stamfordmercury.co.uk

Stoneygate hosted just their second home game of the season on Saturday and they made the most of it, beating visitors Cosby 51-3.

The weather had a massive part to play in the day’s proceedings, with the rain easing off but the wind gathering pace by the minute. The tone was set when Gate full-back Ben Aspall lined up a 65 metre kick in the warm-up and cleared the wavering posts with consummate ease.

Cosby won the toss and chose to play with the strong wind on their backs for the first-half, using the conditions to their advantage attempting numerous drop-goals and kicking the ball to the corners on repeated occasions in an attempt to pin the home side back in their own 22.

Gate were playing the conditions very well, keeping the ball tight and on the ground, the home team battled both the opposition defenders but also the howling winds. It was Stoneygate who struck first with a nicely worked try. A scrum just inside the Cosby half and close to centre field gave ample space for number eight Tom Charnley to pick from the base and feed scrum-half Will Cropper who drew the last defender and put Matt Boyce in for his fist try on home soil. The conversion attempt was on target, however the wind caught hold of the ball and blew it straight back down the field.

Stoneygate kept the scoreboard ticking over just minutes later when Aspall kicked a penalty from in front of the posts but was forced to do so from just five meters out, the ball only just crossing the plain of the crossbar to convert the kick.

Stoneygate scored another two tries before the half-time whistle through scrum-half Cropper and inside centre Steve Farrow. The score at the break, Gate 20-3 Cosby.

With the win at their backs the hosts pinned Cosby back in their own 22 with few options to exit.

Farrow soon added to his first-half try by adding a further two early on in the second period. The gap between the teams soon extended to 34-3 with little sign of the home side letting up.

Despite the score line, Cosby never gave up and despite the conditions, put Gate under periods of pressure in the second-half, in a really spirited performance.

Cosby however failed to add to their first-half drop goal and it was Stoneygate who crossed the try line three more times through forwards, O’Keeffe, Cox and captain Phil Beech.

With the wind at his back, kicker Aspall was converting from all angles and through his accuracy the final score read Stoneygate 51-3 Cosby.

Gate return to league action on Saturday at home against Hinckley Thirds.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More