Home   Sport   Article

Unbeaten home record is maintained to move into third spot

Jack Bates celebrates Stones' second goal. (4051826)
Jack Bates celebrates Stones' second goal. (4051826)

Blackstones bounced back from two successive heavy away defeats with a 2-1 home victory over Huntingdon Town on Saturday.

First half goals from Martyn Fox and Jack Bates helped maintain their unbeaten home record and move Stones into third spot in Division One of the United Counties League.

Joint boss Lee Clarke was relieved to see his side return to winning ways after recent away reversals at Anstey Nomads and Deeping Rangers.

He said: "We felt this was the perfect game for us to get back to winning ways with our home record being so strong.

"We took the lead and, although we were pegged back pretty quickly, it seemed to kick us on.

"We spent the rest of the half in control, creating many half chances and having shots at goals before we scored our second.

"The second half felt like a pretty entertaining affair.

"Both teams wanted to attack and there was definitely a bit more urgency from Huntingdon.

"Although only being one goal up is a precarious position, we always felt in control of the game. I couldn’t really see Huntingdon getting back into it.

"We were happy to pick up a deserved three points without ever really hitting our top form."

Martyn Fox puts Stones ahead. (4051820)
Martyn Fox puts Stones ahead. (4051820)

The visitors only arrived at the ALH Recruitment Stadium shortly before kick-off due to road closures on the A1.

But proceedings still got underway on time with Stones suffering an early blow when a rash challenge saw Ben Cowles forced off injured.

The enforced change did not effect Stones and they took the lead on the 15th minute mark when a rehearsed free-kick was nodded back into the six-yard box by Clarke and Fox timed his run to perfection to head home.

Huntingdon Town responded with a period of sustained pressure and equalised in the 22nd minute.

Charlie Stafford sent a cross from the left into the Stones box which was only half-headed clear to Manny Obodo who hammered home a fine finish past Aaron Bellairs.

This appeared to be the jolt that Stones needed to regain control and their concerted effort was rewarded on the half-hour mark.

Jezz Goldson-Williams was denied a goal by the visiting defence, but the rebound found an advanced Jack Bates who managed to stab the ball home.

The second half was an attacking affair with the visitors fighting to get back into the game and Stones looking for the killer blow to secure the victory.

Stones fashioned a few chances and, although they were unable to convert, the one-goal advantage from the first half was enough to secure all three points.

They are without a match this weekend with their next game being away at St Andrews on Saturday, September 22.

Saturday's match sponsors were Adj Dawson, Dick and Sam Morley, who awarded the man-of-the-match to Fox for a solid midfield display and a well-taken goal.

Stones: Bellairs, Bates, Wilmer, Pell, Simpson, Fox, Edmondson (Boome), Moore-Papworth, Goldson-Williams, Clarke, Cowles (Porter). Subs not used: Westley, Easson, Buttery.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More