Home   Sport   Article

Double delight for Amateurs as Robson hits hat-trick in reserve team win

Cottesmore Amateurs boss Rich Giblin is urging his players to make the most of a crucial run of games for the Leicestershire Senior League side.

Amateurs return to Premier Division action on Saturday when they host seventh-placed Hathern at Westray Park (2pm).

It’s the first of five games that manager Giblin believes will be vital in his side’s quest to improve on their current 11th place in the standings.

After Saturday’s clash with Hathern, they visit Sileby Town before three successive home games against Friar Lane & Epworth, Kirby Muxloe Reserves and Allexton & New Parks who are all below Amateurs in the table.

Manager Rich Giblin. (6818414)
Manager Rich Giblin. (6818414)

Giblin said: “It’s a big game for us on Saturday because Hathern are a strong, physical side.

“They win a lot of games at home, but they’ve been doing well on the road this year as well so it will be a real test for us.

“It’s a chance for us to push on. We’ve got a run of games coming up which we want to be taking points from.

“We need to start putting a little bit more in on the pitch to get us back up the league because I firmly believe we’re better than a mid-table side.”

Cottesmore go into Saturday’s contest having booked their place in the semi-finals of the Ancaster Cup following a 2-0 home win over Bourne Town Reserves at the weekend.

Despite missing seven players, a goal in each half from Matty Green and Eathan Milne secured their spot in the last four.

Giblin commented: “We had a number of players missing because the fixture was organised quite late on so, as we were due to have a free Saturday, many had already made plans.

“But we have good depth across both sides this year which we probably haven’t had in past seasons.

“We didn’t start very well. We were very lax and leisurely for the first 15 minutes, but we started to knuckle down and managed to play some football and that led to the first goal.

“We are one of those teams who settle down once we have scored. We always look a bit nervous at 0-0.

“We created a couple more chances, but needed that second goal to kill it off.

“We looked comfortable after that. We kept the ball when we needed to and went long when we had to.

“We got the boys off the bench as well to give them some game time so it was a pleasing afternoon.”

A sluggish Cottesmore start saw goalkeeper Jonny Hotson make a crucial early save to deny their United Counties League Reserve Division visitors.

Cottesmore gradually worked their way into the contest and went close when skipper Jordan Smith narrowly failed to turn home a Green cross.

They did take the lead shortly after when Ben Richards set Smith free down the left and his cross was converted by the in-coming Green.

Harry Stannard then came close to doubling Cottesmore’s lead just before the break when he fired in a shot which rattled the upright.

It took Cottesmore 10 minutes of the second period to score their second as Milne’s effort just inside the box squirmed under the Bourne goalkeeper and into the net.

The two-goal cushion allowed Cottesmore to make some changes as they handed a debut to former Harrowby player Liam Smith.

Stannard had late appeals for a penalty turned down before Bourne rallied with Hotson making a brave save to secure a second successive clean sheet.

Cottesmore: Hotson, Chilton (Wood), Wilke, Cropper, Richards, Bendle, Luke Smith, Milne (Liam Smith), J Smith, Stannard, Green (S Smith).

Eathan Milne (right) scores Cottesmore's second goal. (6818412)
Eathan Milne (right) scores Cottesmore's second goal. (6818412)

A hat-trick from Jake Robson helped fire Cottesmore Amateurs Reserves to a 6-4 victory in Saturday’s Leicestershire Senior League Division Two trip to FC GNG Development.

Robson rattled in a treble as Amateurs’ second string recorded their first league win since the end of October.

Their performances in recent weeks hadn’t reaped the rewards of the players’ efforts, but they got off to a storming start on Saturday when Tyler Smith raced clear to round the keeper and open the scoring.

GNG then hit back with an equaliser shortly after before taking the lead as Cottesmore were undone by two long balls over the top.

Cottesmore refused to let their heads drop despite the double setback and Robson opened his account for the afternoon to make it 2-2 before the break when he fired home after a cross had been cleared to the edge of the box.

Despite the equaliser, it was GNG who grabbed the initiative again early in the second half as they punished Cottesmore for a slow start to take a 3-2 lead.

Amateurs then withstood some strong GNG pressure before levelling again when Robson rifled home a free-kick into the bottom corner.

This turned the contest around as Amateurs made the most of the momentum and a Marcus Rowland cross was turned into his own net by a GNG defender.

Robson then completed his hat-trick in style with the goal of the game to make it 5-3 as he let fly from 30 yards into the bottom corner.

GNG rallied again and, after Nathan Clare had made a good save, they pulled a goal back to set up a tense final five minutes.

The hosts pushed for an equaliser which allowed Cottesmore to break and Ben Dawson found space down the left to drive forward before squaring for Rowland to tap home.

Cottesmore: Clare, Waterman, Baker, Hamnett, Bowers, Dawson, Sabberton, Robson, Lomas, Rowland, T Smith. Subs: Adams, Gray, Wilson.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More